What defines your autism?

There's another question that sprang to mind this morning.

What defines your autism?

I have noticed that most of the posts on the forum appear to be about our vulnerabilities.

So, is our autism defined by our vulnerabilities?

Certainly the sensitivities and communication difficulties can make us more vulnerable to stress and isolation.

Any positives anyone?

I'm still thinking about that one.

There is a lot of food for thought once we have obtained recognition either personally or professionally.

Parents
  • To kind of reiterate something from my profile, my ASC isn't necesarilly a disability, in fact in my own home environemt that is set up to suit me I thrive quite well, I feel more like I am disabled by the fact that society and infrastructure are built around very narrow and "normative" ways of being.
    So I am defined by being different, and not in a bad way because it's an alternative, not inferior, set of Pros and Cons to being me.
    And my Pros are amazing, any thing I need to learn I trick myself into fixating on so I can master it faster. I can diagnose car problems by sound, nobody could break into my home in the night because I would hear them before they got to the front door, by sense of smell I have detected electrical faults that would have turned into fire hazards, my planning and creative problem solving skills are next level. I can tell which card was yours in the deck because I can feel it is slightly warmer than the others, and there's loads more, but not least of the mundane super powers especially around Xmas time: I can always tell where the end of the sellotape is.

• To kind of reiterate something from my profile, my ASC isn't necesarilly a disability, in fact in my own home environemt that is set up to suit me I thrive quite well, I feel more like I am disabled by the fact that society and infrastructure are built around very narrow and "normative" ways of being.
    So I am defined by being different, and not in a bad way because it's an alternative, not inferior, set of Pros and Cons to being me.
    And my Pros are amazing, any thing I need to learn I trick myself into fixating on so I can master it faster. I can diagnose car problems by sound, nobody could break into my home in the night because I would hear them before they got to the front door, by sense of smell I have detected electrical faults that would have turned into fire hazards, my planning and creative problem solving skills are next level. I can tell which card was yours in the deck because I can feel it is slightly warmer than the others, and there's loads more, but not least of the mundane super powers especially around Xmas time: I can always tell where the end of the sellotape is.

Children
No Data