Randomly Saying Things Out Loud

Sometimes, and for no particular reason, I say something out loud. I’m not sure if this is some sort of manifestation of Tourette’s, it isn’t usually anything obscene, I sometimes surprise myself and am left wondering why I said it as it seems to have  no relevance to anything. I also count under my breath as I’m walking, sometimes people hear me mumbling and I’m immediately embarrassed. I’ve always done this, but only recently come to the conclusion that it might be an autistic thing…anybody else do this weird stuff?

Parents
  • I occasionally do, but mostly when I am going through what I need to do. It's the noises I make when things are stressful that are worse, then I have to try to turn it into a cough. 

However I often think people are talking to themselves when they are on the phone. I guess we could wear earbuds and pretend we are on the phone.

• I used to wonder what was going on when I first started seeing individuals walk past my house, having an animated conversation, and no sign of another person, or a mobile phone being held against their ear. I'd be looking out of my window wondering if they were OK. This was in the early days of Bluetooth headsets for mobile phones. Wink

• I used to wonder what was going on when I first started seeing individuals walk past my house, having an animated conversation, and no sign of another person, or a mobile phone being held against their ear. I'd be looking out of my window wondering if they were OK. This was in the early days of Bluetooth headsets for mobile phones. Wink

Children
  • I'm always talking to myself about things I'm doing, mostly under my breath, say when supermarket shopping etc however, the last 10 years has been becoming gradually more and more stressful to the point now where I am proper moaning about people / things sometimes at normal speaking volume which has added extra stress to the relationship to say the least.

• Yes, it’s all too commonplace these days, I just tend to blurt out odd words, without any particular relevance to anything, usually, but not always if I’m stressed.