Randomly Saying Things Out Loud

Sometimes, and for no particular reason, I say something out loud. I’m not sure if this is some sort of manifestation of Tourette’s, it isn’t usually anything obscene, I sometimes surprise myself and am left wondering why I said it as it seems to have  no relevance to anything. I also count under my breath as I’m walking, sometimes people hear me mumbling and I’m immediately embarrassed. I’ve always done this, but only recently come to the conclusion that it might be an autistic thing…anybody else do this weird stuff?

Parents
  • I do this. It started when I was still a kid I would suddenly start talking to myself as if I was another person listening in. I think it's where my head gets so cluttered with thoughts I need to air everything out to make sense of it. It started then and I still do it now sometimes in public usually if I'm shopping and trying to work out what to buy. I can't process thoughts oddly so I need to speak out what I'm thinking. It works for me.

• Not sure if what I do is the same as you, but if I'm in a shop and searching for an item, I find myself repeatedly saying the name of that item out loud.

Reply Children