Reading, writing and English comprehension with autism

Long time autism user, first time caller. 

Turns out I'm an adult who got a (very) late autism diagnosis. And on that spectrum, suffers massive difficulties in reading and comprehension. Newspaper headlines make no sense to me. Never passed an English exam et cetera et cetera et cetera...

I've not had much success or help with my autism (or as my autism puts it having to put up with me) . You contact the NAS - who tell you to contact local autism authority, who in turn tell you to contact the local council who in turn tell you to contact NAS And around we go... Sound familiar, to any one? 

I can easily spiral this into the lack of help for adults with autism, but I'm sure I can do that later.

With the exception of (expensive) private tuition I haven't found any leads for help for adults looking to improve or overcome barriers in English comprehension. "if you've not figured it out by now you never will" being the general census of thinking. If I've written this then what help do I need? The irony of trying to find help with comprehension on a bulletin board is not lost on me.

I enjoy reading, but since my diagnosis and realisation that I "ain't reading it right"* and maybe misunderstanding a great deal, my interest has fallen dramatically and I think I've managed to actually finish three books in the last two years. Whereas unfinished books number about seventeen.

Where do we go now?

NAS83147

*#IFYKYK

Parents
  • Hi, something that is more common in autistic people is dyslexia. It’s a common misconception that dyslexia is just seeing letters jumbled up. It does include how we process text and understand it.  I’m older and have read two books in my life. I can read a paragraph 4 times and still struggle to understand it.  I use a lot of audiobooks as the person reading it blocks out other thoughts and at least I can now enjoy books. I took an IQ test as I always thought that I was of low intelligence. It turns out to be quite the opposite.

There is The Dyslexia Association but as usual it seems more geared towards the young.

• Did you do an online IQ test and if so would you mind posting a link please (or telling me the name)?

I have never done one and have been unsure if it's worth it at my age with my diminishing brain cells but I might give it a try.

Thank you.

• Did you do an online IQ test and if so would you mind posting a link please (or telling me the name)?

I have never done one and have been unsure if it's worth it at my age with my diminishing brain cells but I might give it a try.

Thank you.

Children