Is it possible to buy a home if you can't use a phone?

I recently realised that I have enough money in cash savings to purchase a flat (mortgage-free) in my area. This would save me £850 a month in rent, so financially it's a very sensible decision, and would also mean I could move out of my current place where I have to sleep on the floor in the entrance hall with earplugs due to noise outside. However, I can't work out how to do it.

I have auditory processing disorder and have absolutely no idea what people are saying over the phone. I tried contacting an agent to book a viewing on a flat, but they contacted me only by phone despite me asking for email and when I couldn't communicate that way that was the end of it: I never heard from them again.

I have no family or friends who are willing to help. I get stressed out easily and have trouble making decisions quickly.

I live in fear of being homeless if my landlord decides he wants my current flat (which I rented with my ex) back.

Is there some kind of service I can pay to help me?

Parents
  • Firstly try not letting the agent have your phone number at all, so that they can't use it. The 'contact us' forms on their websites usually ask for a phone and email contact. Try and see if it will submit with just the email. If not, what I do when contacting any organisation is adding a load of zeros where it asks for phone number, so that the form will submit.

Let them know that you are a cash buyer with no chain. You may then find that they are much keener to contact you, using whatever form of communication you prefer Wink

If a phone call is absolutely necessary you could try using a text to talk relay service, designed for deaf or speech impaired people. https://www.relayuk.bt.com/ 

Although it is meant for the hearing impaired I don't see any reason why autistic people couldn't use it. Most people will assume that auditory processing disorder is a hearing issue anyway.

There are other things to consider as well when deciding if home ownership is the right choice for you. You will be responsible for any ongoing maintenance and repairs, which may much more stressful than when it was your landlord's responsibility. This is something I really struggle with and there is no support available for things like this.

With rising interest rates property prices may fall, as mortgages get more expensive. You are in a stronger position as a cash buyer. It's also worth considering the opportunity cost of how much interest you could have earned on your savings compared to what you would save in rent.

• Firstly try not letting the agent have your phone number at all, so that they can't use it. The 'contact us' forms on their websites usually ask for a phone and email contact. Try and see if it will submit with just the email. If not, what I do when contacting any organisation is adding a load of zeros where it asks for phone number, so that the form will submit.

Let them know that you are a cash buyer with no chain. You may then find that they are much keener to contact you, using whatever form of communication you prefer Wink

If a phone call is absolutely necessary you could try using a text to talk relay service, designed for deaf or speech impaired people. https://www.relayuk.bt.com/ 

Although it is meant for the hearing impaired I don't see any reason why autistic people couldn't use it. Most people will assume that auditory processing disorder is a hearing issue anyway.

There are other things to consider as well when deciding if home ownership is the right choice for you. You will be responsible for any ongoing maintenance and repairs, which may much more stressful than when it was your landlord's responsibility. This is something I really struggle with and there is no support available for things like this.

With rising interest rates property prices may fall, as mortgages get more expensive. You are in a stronger position as a cash buyer. It's also worth considering the opportunity cost of how much interest you could have earned on your savings compared to what you would save in rent.

Children
No Data