Is it possible to buy a home if you can't use a phone?

I recently realised that I have enough money in cash savings to purchase a flat (mortgage-free) in my area. This would save me £850 a month in rent, so financially it's a very sensible decision, and would also mean I could move out of my current place where I have to sleep on the floor in the entrance hall with earplugs due to noise outside. However, I can't work out how to do it.

I have auditory processing disorder and have absolutely no idea what people are saying over the phone. I tried contacting an agent to book a viewing on a flat, but they contacted me only by phone despite me asking for email and when I couldn't communicate that way that was the end of it: I never heard from them again.

I have no family or friends who are willing to help. I get stressed out easily and have trouble making decisions quickly.

I live in fear of being homeless if my landlord decides he wants my current flat (which I rented with my ex) back.

Is there some kind of service I can pay to help me?

• Firstly try not letting the agent have your phone number at all, so that they can't use it. The 'contact us' forms on their websites usually ask for a phone and email contact. Try and see if it will submit with just the email. If not, what I do when contacting any organisation is adding a load of zeros where it asks for phone number, so that the form will submit.

Let them know that you are a cash buyer with no chain. You may then find that they are much keener to contact you, using whatever form of communication you prefer Wink

If a phone call is absolutely necessary you could try using a text to talk relay service, designed for deaf or speech impaired people. https://www.relayuk.bt.com/ 

Although it is meant for the hearing impaired I don't see any reason why autistic people couldn't use it. Most people will assume that auditory processing disorder is a hearing issue anyway.

There are other things to consider as well when deciding if home ownership is the right choice for you. You will be responsible for any ongoing maintenance and repairs, which may much more stressful than when it was your landlord's responsibility. This is something I really struggle with and there is no support available for things like this.

With rising interest rates property prices may fall, as mortgages get more expensive. You are in a stronger position as a cash buyer. It's also worth considering the opportunity cost of how much interest you could have earned on your savings compared to what you would save in rent.

• My work is easy (doesn't involve people). I feel under pressure to keep earnings high so I can pass landlord affordability checks. But then I never spend anything. Buying stuff is stressful. I despise travel. Samefoods diet costs about £12 a week. I have regular activities I do every week but none are particularly expensive. I tried branching out but it made me less happy so I went back to what I like. I'm 35 and barring a few thousand from a deceased grandparent it's mostly just built up over the last decade and a half.

Edit: forgot to mention I also bought about £200 of bitcoin, forgot about it for the best part of a decade, and then sold it for about £20,000.

I'm in Yorkshire.

• Once whilst I was out at work my O/H put in an offer for a house "subject to survey" as all offers are, of 64 thousand quid to beat off the stiff competition. Our maximum calculated repayment capability was 55K and stamp duty was set at a 60K threshold. I took our surveyor to one side and instructed him to "find everything" he possibly could, and made sure he knew he was being paid to "miss nothing". 

When he came back with a decent list of defects, I thanked him kindly, and instructed the O/H to submit the report to the agents with a revised offer of £59,995...

She said "if you make me miss this house"....

She had a point, it was well below market value, (but was a fixer upper) so there really was serious competition for it, in a housing boom, and it was nice the best we'd yet seen. Even I liked it. 

But I knew those few words of instruction to the surveyor had produced me a body of confidence killing information to the agent! I suspected that my proposed reduction although by getting under the stamp duty threshold was amazing for US wasn't as bad for the agent as possibly restarting the deal would be, so there was a chance that even in that bull housing market I could pull it off.

And being "tight" when buying a thing is what I seem to be really good at, so of course I didn't lose her her house!

I could have, but I called it right, and to be fair, I needed to, we had a hard job hanging onto it after a few years, and that smaller mortgage really helped. 

• I can see people have mentioned CAB. They should know if there are any advocacy services in your area. 

If you find somewhere you like, although you don't need a survey if you have cash it is worth getting one done for peace of mind. You may be able to arrange this with email and the report is likely to come the same way.

If you have a viewing it is worth writing down any questions to email after and don't feel pressurized to make a decision.

When it comes to price you can try putting in a low offer at first by email.

• If you live anywhere near me.

I'll gladly help you solve that problem in the hope that I can learn from you how the heck you managed to save enough to buy a flat for cash...

That's an incredible achievement! 

That's a serious offer, and having bought two houses in my time, (but been unable to keep them, due to the old fluctuating income v mortgage scenario) and one piece of land. (Paid cash so it's mine, irrespective of income now) I an qualified & competent to help.

• Just tell them to stop, and slow down. Thats what I do. I just say, sorry, can you wait a moment. I’m autistic and I can’t take information in quickly whilst on the phone. Almost everyone I’ve said that to has been very accommodating. 

• Estate agents love you visiting - in fact, that's how most people do buy - in person and by visiting.

You can also visit the other agencies involved in a house purchase eg. solicitors, if they insist on calling you rather than text or email.

In my most recent house purchase I was surprised to find that my solicitor mainly used email.

He actually never phoned, as far as I can remember.

• I could look up where they are and try that if they're reachable by foot/bus. Are they receptive to that? The problem with in person is people usually assume I'm a child and treat me accordingly. I just got new ID so I'll try getting it out as quickly as possible to correct them.

• I suppose if I got a calendar and marked every possible time with YES or NO before the call I might be able to give answers to them saying "is this time ok?" Assuming the line is good enough to understand what they are saying. I can manage calls with machines as they speak clearly and wait for you to reply, but with a human they usually end up hanging up on me because I can't process the noise into words and respond quickly enough. I briefly worked in a call center and if anything got worse rather than better at it with practice.

• Have you tried going to the estate agent / letting agents shop in person? Would that help?

• People are lazy, and it’s quicker to call. Can you use the phone for short calls? Like if they gave you an appointment? I think that might be something to practise for? I cannot take in information the phone either, but I can write a day and time down. As long as I can read my scribble I’m safe! Grimacing

I don’t know of any agencies who can help, but might a social worker? Or support worker? The best thing to do might be to ask your GP practise if they can recommend a place, and speak to the CAB.

I am in the same sort of position as you, as in needing to buy and move. I’m burying my head in the sand right now. It’s a daunting things to do, and I have no idea where to start. Anyway, this isn’t about me, I just wanted you to know you’re not alone.

One piece of advice I’ll give, is to take your time. Make lists. Find out what you really want, and what compromises you might be willing to make. Factor in the service and ground rent charges as well. 
    keep asking questions here when you have them, as someone has probably already been thought it.

• The interest rate hike has killed the market. The house I’m selling was having 3-4 viewings per week, I’ve not had a viewing in the past month. As you are a cash buyer I would wait as prices are coming down. Let the agents know that you are a cash buyer. Agents love cash buyers as the sale won’t fall through over mortgage offers and you have no chain below you. They will keep in contact in anyway you require. My agent hasn’t sold a house in the last month, the wages and rent still needs paying.

• With regard to CAB they are open to everyone.

With regard to advocacy I don't know. You would need to contact a service to ask.

You can usually just visit CABs.

They have locations and opening hours online.

• Ah has that changed recently? I was trying a few months ago and everything seemed to be selling the day after it waa listed.

• I’m moving at the moment, that’s really good advice.  I struggle with telephones but have made it clear to agents that they email me. The housing market is in decline at the moment. If they want my  trade then they will do as I ask.

• Do I need a diagnosis for this? I'm on the waiting list but don't know how long it will be.

• I'm currently in a flat and the internal soundproofing is fantastic. My neighbors (with the exception of the guy who stands on his balcony and shouts, bit thankfully I can't hear him from the bedroom) never bother me. The problem is the location as it overlooks a road where people drunkenly scream, shout and sing from around 2-5am every day. My ideal would be to move to the other side of the building and I keep looking for flats coming up for sale there. Which they do occasionally, but I can't work out how to persuade an agent to communicate with me to allow me to view.

I passed my driving test 18 years ago but haven't driven since. I suppose a camper van might be a good alternative to a house/flat if I could get refresher lessons. I need internet for work but if I'm not paying rent I could get away with doing a lot less of that. Where are you allowed to park camper vans to sleep in?

• Hi there

I am moving too.

It is taking a long time, but I have accepted that.  So far I have been getting everything ready for a year, and I expect it to take another year yet. 

Everything takes longer to do than for neurotypicals.  Also, I find that I need to get everything in order to a much greater extent.  So, for example, I need to do the letters for the utility companies, have their contact details ready etc, before even starting to buy a place.  Like everything has to be ready to go, in case my head freezes due to the stress at a critical time in the buying process.

I don't know if there is any help you can get.  I have a support worker, but she can't help.  Citizen's Advice sounds good, as others have suggested.  Always a good starting place.

Perhaps also start a folder to try and organise your thoughts?  It is a project.  You can do it, but it will take some time.  Try not to let it take over your life, stay well and look after yourself.

Also, bear in mind that flats can be noisy too.  I have decided to move into an old terraced house that has thick walls, and then convert the downstairs into a flat, and not bother with the upstairs.  This will be the best way in terms of noise.  Plus, I don't know if you drive, but getting a small campervan and sleeping in that a few nights a week may help?

All the best, I sincerely hope it all goes well for you.  I really feel for you, sleeping in the hallway.  Totally get it!  At one point I was wearing eye shades, ear defenders, and a gum shield ... still couldn't sleep!  It's a bugger!  

I have an app called BetterSleep which is very helpful, but I understand how hard it is when noise is all pervasive.  

Take care and good luck with your home purchase 

A

• You'll need someone who can help by acting as a go between. Even without a mortgage, you'll have the estate agent and a solicitor to deal with. Once you move in you need to call all the utilities companies, phone/broadband etc etc. Perhaps try Citizens Advice, local CAMS team, local council...