Is it possible to buy a home if you can't use a phone?

I recently realised that I have enough money in cash savings to purchase a flat (mortgage-free) in my area. This would save me £850 a month in rent, so financially it's a very sensible decision, and would also mean I could move out of my current place where I have to sleep on the floor in the entrance hall with earplugs due to noise outside. However, I can't work out how to do it.

I have auditory processing disorder and have absolutely no idea what people are saying over the phone. I tried contacting an agent to book a viewing on a flat, but they contacted me only by phone despite me asking for email and when I couldn't communicate that way that was the end of it: I never heard from them again.

I have no family or friends who are willing to help. I get stressed out easily and have trouble making decisions quickly.

I live in fear of being homeless if my landlord decides he wants my current flat (which I rented with my ex) back.

Is there some kind of service I can pay to help me?

Parents
  • People are lazy, and it’s quicker to call. Can you use the phone for short calls? Like if they gave you an appointment? I think that might be something to practise for? I cannot take in information the phone either, but I can write a day and time down. As long as I can read my scribble I’m safe! Grimacing

I don’t know of any agencies who can help, but might a social worker? Or support worker? The best thing to do might be to ask your GP practise if they can recommend a place, and speak to the CAB.

I am in the same sort of position as you, as in needing to buy and move. I’m burying my head in the sand right now. It’s a daunting things to do, and I have no idea where to start. Anyway, this isn’t about me, I just wanted you to know you’re not alone.

One piece of advice I’ll give, is to take your time. Make lists. Find out what you really want, and what compromises you might be willing to make. Factor in the service and ground rent charges as well. 
    keep asking questions here when you have them, as someone has probably already been thought it.

• People are lazy, and it’s quicker to call. Can you use the phone for short calls? Like if they gave you an appointment? I think that might be something to practise for? I cannot take in information the phone either, but I can write a day and time down. As long as I can read my scribble I’m safe! Grimacing

I don’t know of any agencies who can help, but might a social worker? Or support worker? The best thing to do might be to ask your GP practise if they can recommend a place, and speak to the CAB.

I am in the same sort of position as you, as in needing to buy and move. I’m burying my head in the sand right now. It’s a daunting things to do, and I have no idea where to start. Anyway, this isn’t about me, I just wanted you to know you’re not alone.

One piece of advice I’ll give, is to take your time. Make lists. Find out what you really want, and what compromises you might be willing to make. Factor in the service and ground rent charges as well. 
    keep asking questions here when you have them, as someone has probably already been thought it.

Children
  • I suppose if I got a calendar and marked every possible time with YES or NO before the call I might be able to give answers to them saying "is this time ok?" Assuming the line is good enough to understand what they are saying. I can manage calls with machines as they speak clearly and wait for you to reply, but with a human they usually end up hanging up on me because I can't process the noise into words and respond quickly enough. I briefly worked in a call center and if anything got worse rather than better at it with practice.