Is it possible to buy a home if you can't use a phone?

I recently realised that I have enough money in cash savings to purchase a flat (mortgage-free) in my area. This would save me £850 a month in rent, so financially it's a very sensible decision, and would also mean I could move out of my current place where I have to sleep on the floor in the entrance hall with earplugs due to noise outside. However, I can't work out how to do it.

I have auditory processing disorder and have absolutely no idea what people are saying over the phone. I tried contacting an agent to book a viewing on a flat, but they contacted me only by phone despite me asking for email and when I couldn't communicate that way that was the end of it: I never heard from them again.

I have no family or friends who are willing to help. I get stressed out easily and have trouble making decisions quickly.

I live in fear of being homeless if my landlord decides he wants my current flat (which I rented with my ex) back.

Is there some kind of service I can pay to help me?

Parents Reply Children
  • Do I need a diagnosis for this? I'm on the waiting list but don't know how long it will be.

• Hi there

I am moving too.

It is taking a long time, but I have accepted that.  So far I have been getting everything ready for a year, and I expect it to take another year yet. 

Everything takes longer to do than for neurotypicals.  Also, I find that I need to get everything in order to a much greater extent.  So, for example, I need to do the letters for the utility companies, have their contact details ready etc, before even starting to buy a place.  Like everything has to be ready to go, in case my head freezes due to the stress at a critical time in the buying process.

I don't know if there is any help you can get.  I have a support worker, but she can't help.  Citizen's Advice sounds good, as others have suggested.  Always a good starting place.

Perhaps also start a folder to try and organise your thoughts?  It is a project.  You can do it, but it will take some time.  Try not to let it take over your life, stay well and look after yourself.

Also, bear in mind that flats can be noisy too.  I have decided to move into an old terraced house that has thick walls, and then convert the downstairs into a flat, and not bother with the upstairs.  This will be the best way in terms of noise.  Plus, I don't know if you drive, but getting a small campervan and sleeping in that a few nights a week may help?

All the best, I sincerely hope it all goes well for you.  I really feel for you, sleeping in the hallway.  Totally get it!  At one point I was wearing eye shades, ear defenders, and a gum shield ... still couldn't sleep!  It's a bugger!  

I have an app called BetterSleep which is very helpful, but I understand how hard it is when noise is all pervasive.  

Take care and good luck with your home purchase 

A