My life is ruined

• I am autistic and I haven't been the same since I found out I've been diagnosed for 6 years now and wish I never found out!!

Parents
  • I think part of what you must be struggling with is that you know it's not something you can 'switch of'' or turn down the dial on, via CBT etc. in the way that would work for many NT people with practice. I used to try, long before I realised what I am. There are two ways you can think about the that realisation I suppose: 'Things are never going to change, what's the point of anything?' or 'Thank goodness, how I've always been makes sense to me and it can start feeling less like failure and more like my authentic best (only) self'. While the NT-skewed world cannot suddenly become accomodating overnight, you do have a proper context for better self-care, and less guilt around that. And a framework for connecting with communities like this, to feel less anomalous and part of a diffusely spread tribe that is not some mistake of nature but rather part of its evolving blueprint 

• I think part of what you must be struggling with is that you know it's not something you can 'switch of'' or turn down the dial on, via CBT etc. in the way that would work for many NT people with practice. I used to try, long before I realised what I am. There are two ways you can think about the that realisation I suppose: 'Things are never going to change, what's the point of anything?' or 'Thank goodness, how I've always been makes sense to me and it can start feeling less like failure and more like my authentic best (only) self'. While the NT-skewed world cannot suddenly become accomodating overnight, you do have a proper context for better self-care, and less guilt around that. And a framework for connecting with communities like this, to feel less anomalous and part of a diffusely spread tribe that is not some mistake of nature but rather part of its evolving blueprint 

Children