Public Speaking

I just delivered a speech to little over 500 people. It was hard going, but I did it.

My only question is, in moments of success like this, why am I so hard on myself. Does anyone else struggle with balancing mood/emotions in moments like these?

Parents
  • I've done that sort of thing as a trainer.  Well done for pushing through the nerves and doing that.

Basically, after any training session, we are supposed to reflect on what could have made it better.  That's good.  And yes, I am hard on myself there too.  But just remember for every little thing that you might tweak next time, there will be a ton of things you did really well and got spot on, and probably no one noticed the things you would tweak next time.  Focus on and celebrate the positives first then assimilate the potential adjustments.

Bravo!

• I've done that sort of thing as a trainer.  Well done for pushing through the nerves and doing that.

Basically, after any training session, we are supposed to reflect on what could have made it better.  That's good.  And yes, I am hard on myself there too.  But just remember for every little thing that you might tweak next time, there will be a ton of things you did really well and got spot on, and probably no one noticed the things you would tweak next time.  Focus on and celebrate the positives first then assimilate the potential adjustments.

Bravo!

Children
  • Thank you. Being a trainer sounds like it could have been rewarding.

The reflective side is something I know I need to work on in terms of balance. I’m far too negative with my own reflections but can highlight the brilliance of others with ease.

But you are right, I have to see the positives first.