Sensory issues

Hello all. 

I'm awaiting an assessment for diagnosis, it's a 27 month wait list and my god am I struggling. I find my main struggles are sounds. I'm struggling to sleep because things are waking me, cars on the road, dogs barking, others in the house moving around.....the smallest of things. I've got white noise playing when I sleep and also sometimes have ear plugs in. If I'm at home and sat watching TV etc and I hear a dog bark, loud car pass my house etc it really triggers me, I can only describe it as making me feel ill and angry. I hate these feelings. Not sure what I can do. There's a list of other things too but the sounds is definitely the worst! Any advice would be so appreciated 

Thanks

Lois 

Parents
  • Hello, I experience the same thing as you with sounds - and the same sensation of them making me feel ill/angry. (That is a good way of describing it). I also don't know what to do. I would love to live on a Scottish Island and not be able to hear any of the things that upset me! I love silence and feel as though I need silence the same way as I need oxygen.  I feel as though sounds interrupt my thought processes and it feels as though they are sort of assaulting and invading me. I can feel the vibrations of sounds on my body too and it bothers me that I can not escape from them or control whether or not they enter my personal space. I am the same with smells too. Sometimes it is not too bad and I can cope, but depending on my state of mind and how much pressure or stress I am under it can be terrible - and it is something that affects me very much every day. I am sorry I can't be of any help - hopefully some other people on here will be able to give you some tips, but I just wanted to let you know that I can relate. 

• Also, I hate the angry/ill feeling I get when a sound triggers me. I hate this feeling more than the sound itself. The worst thing is, even after the sound (or smell) has stopped/gone away, the horrible feeling in my body remains for quite some time and I find it very hard to calm down. Then I feel an anger towards the sound/smell for doing this to me but even more so, frustration at myself for being apparently unable to control my response to the sound/smell. 

• Wow, this sounds like I could have written this! I'm also the same with smells too. The sounds dictate my mood and can ruin my day to day life - sounds dramatic but honestly it does. I wish I could take it all away, or even just cope with it, but it's so hard. May I ask do you have your diagnosis yet or are you also waiting for assessment?

I'm sorry you are going through this too :( Disappointed 

• I've always felt like i was a horrible person, I've even had people say I'm weird, due to my senses, it's so upsetting and no one truly understands unless they feel these things. Like you, I'm pleased to know there are others who understand.

• I've always felt like i was a horrible person, I've even had people say I'm weird, due to my senses, it's so upsetting and no one truly understands unless they feel these things. Like you, I'm pleased to know there are others who understand.

Children
No Data