Panic attack

Hi

I am a 51 Yr old female awaiting diagnosis. My work have been very supportive and have referred me through occ health. What led me to speaking out was the pain of panic attacks and what I perceive as an inability to overcome them. I am successful in many areas in my life and professionally however there are a few situations which absolutely floor me and for the life of me I cannot get to grips with them. This has been the case since I was a child so has plagued me for over 4 decades now. I try and rationalise it and tell myself it’s confidence or self esteem, I’m just wondering if others can relate to this ? Sadly I often berate myself and feel foolish hence getting a diagnosis will hopefully help me make sense of this. 
I would stress there are numerous other factors besides this which have led me to seek support and diagnosis. Thank you in anticipation 

Parents
  • I can totally relate to what you're going through. I've also struggled with panic attacks and even early schizophrenia symptoms which can be tough. Sometimes, understanding the root causes can make a world of difference. You're not alone on this journey, and seeking help is a big step towards feeling better. Take care!

• Hi everyone 

I have suffered from panic attacks since early 20’s. I’m now 49 years old. It’s awful and for me I feel like my throat is being squeezed which results in me heaving but very rarely ever sick. I’ve found chewing gum helps randomly (don’t know why) I actually had one this morning and couldn’t say why tbh. I felt it coming on and as I work for myself and alone was able to go home before work, sit down and have a coffee and just slow things down a bit. My wife knew that I used to have them a long time ago but I have never mentioned them for a very long time now. I am currently learning to breath effectively using a book called mindful breathing by Yolanda Barker as I’ve heard this can help.

• Hi everyone 

I have suffered from panic attacks since early 20’s. I’m now 49 years old. It’s awful and for me I feel like my throat is being squeezed which results in me heaving but very rarely ever sick. I’ve found chewing gum helps randomly (don’t know why) I actually had one this morning and couldn’t say why tbh. I felt it coming on and as I work for myself and alone was able to go home before work, sit down and have a coffee and just slow things down a bit. My wife knew that I used to have them a long time ago but I have never mentioned them for a very long time now. I am currently learning to breath effectively using a book called mindful breathing by Yolanda Barker as I’ve heard this can help.

Children
No Data