Social fatigue

I have a difficulty in that I've been working in a school as a learning assistant. When I was just doing the two days on voluntary placement I managed, actually enjoyed the work. But now I've been employed full time at the school, which of course I'm grateful for, I get serious social fatigue. I can just about deal with the interactions moment by moment, lesson by lesson (though I'm very much like a person pushing a balloon under water to pretend it's not there). But now I can't deal with any more social interactions outside of work, like all my social energy is going into the priority of work, and I'm concerned that it's going to affect other personal relationships such as with my boyfriend, even my family even though I know they will be ok if I can't attend family stuff. It's getting to the point where I can't see how I can keep this up long term. I'm referred for the autistic diagnostic pathway but have no official diagnosis. At present I just socially burned out and struggle to be with other people because all my social - interactive energy has been used.

Can anyone relate to this? And if so how did you deal with this?

Parents
  • Thanks everyone. Yeah, I am thinking about the prospect of going part time, or looking for something different. I've already put in for a local school lab tech job and also an LRC post at the school I'm at, so they shouldn't be SO much interaction at least. I've actually only got till the end of this academic year till the end of my contract and it might not even be renewed. All I know is that I can't keep this up forever and I need to start making steps to change the situation now. But it is difficult to know what is best to do as often jobs are interaction-heavy, computer screen heavy, or manual handling, all of which I have my issues with!

• Thanks everyone. Yeah, I am thinking about the prospect of going part time, or looking for something different. I've already put in for a local school lab tech job and also an LRC post at the school I'm at, so they shouldn't be SO much interaction at least. I've actually only got till the end of this academic year till the end of my contract and it might not even be renewed. All I know is that I can't keep this up forever and I need to start making steps to change the situation now. But it is difficult to know what is best to do as often jobs are interaction-heavy, computer screen heavy, or manual handling, all of which I have my issues with!

Children
No Data