Social fatigue

I have a difficulty in that I've been working in a school as a learning assistant. When I was just doing the two days on voluntary placement I managed, actually enjoyed the work. But now I've been employed full time at the school, which of course I'm grateful for, I get serious social fatigue. I can just about deal with the interactions moment by moment, lesson by lesson (though I'm very much like a person pushing a balloon under water to pretend it's not there). But now I can't deal with any more social interactions outside of work, like all my social energy is going into the priority of work, and I'm concerned that it's going to affect other personal relationships such as with my boyfriend, even my family even though I know they will be ok if I can't attend family stuff. It's getting to the point where I can't see how I can keep this up long term. I'm referred for the autistic diagnostic pathway but have no official diagnosis. At present I just socially burned out and struggle to be with other people because all my social - interactive energy has been used.

Can anyone relate to this? And if so how did you deal with this?

Parents
  • If I spend time with anyone (other than my close family) I get really exhausted by it. In such a  situation (which I haven’t had to do for ages due to the pandemic)  I’m working so hard at trying to be around people and not screw up in some way that I’m in a sort of ‘high alert’ state and it’s very tense and a real strain - so once I get home I’m just exhausted and I kind of shut down. I just need comfort and quiet to recover. 

Maybe you need to make sure you can build in recovery time into your day/week? In a structured way? 
    or could you reduce your hours possibly if you feel it’s becoming too much? 
    I think working as a learning assistant in a school is a wonderful and valuable contribution to make - as an autistic person you must have great insights into some of the challenges your pupils are dealing with. So I hope you can find a way to make this work for you if you enjoy the job. 

I’m sure your boyfriend and family will understand if you discuss it with them. Maybe in time you’ll find things improve as you become more relaxed and comfortable in your job? 

Best of luck :) 

• If I spend time with anyone (other than my close family) I get really exhausted by it. In such a  situation (which I haven’t had to do for ages due to the pandemic)  I’m working so hard at trying to be around people and not screw up in some way that I’m in a sort of ‘high alert’ state and it’s very tense and a real strain - so once I get home I’m just exhausted and I kind of shut down. I just need comfort and quiet to recover. 

Maybe you need to make sure you can build in recovery time into your day/week? In a structured way? 
    or could you reduce your hours possibly if you feel it’s becoming too much? 
    I think working as a learning assistant in a school is a wonderful and valuable contribution to make - as an autistic person you must have great insights into some of the challenges your pupils are dealing with. So I hope you can find a way to make this work for you if you enjoy the job. 

I’m sure your boyfriend and family will understand if you discuss it with them. Maybe in time you’ll find things improve as you become more relaxed and comfortable in your job? 

Best of luck :) 

Children
No Data