Being autistic and Christian

I just wanted to start a thread to see what the experiences of any other autistic Christians are? As an autistic person who didn't know I was autistic until later life I have had an up and down relationship with my faith over the years. I have had some very bad experiences in church too, I know a lot of autistic people struggle with church for many reasons too.

Im not trying to convert or preach to anyone and I appreciate a lot of people on here aren't religious or anything but it would be really interesting and comforting to hear any experiences of fellow autistic Christians 

Parents
  • I've had some special moments in some churches, but I can never really connect very deeply for very long.

It's partly me, but is also due to a combination of a) conspiracy loonies telling me it's not even a condition, or b) it's a disease to be cured of! Not to mention lots of toxic devisive covert political mind melt.

However, I believe in the God of Christ, Abraham, Moses, and Noah with all my heart.

But life, meantime, as a man in his fifties is a disastrous string of self sabotaging catastrophes due to, I guess, mostly having not been brought up by informed parents or guardians who knew which things were key to managing ASD, and instilling routine around the things that inspire us, and with the things we just need to do.

It would be timely to look at Christian residential rehabs, which are generally in the countryside away from everything, and use aspects of their work for adults who've been diagnosed n later, who are in a mess, yet don't quite fit the "addict" tag, or whatever usual addiction oriented approaches.

It'd, if done properly, and appropriately, be an ideal place to gain that inner discipline and routine, with opportunity to study secular or biblical things, creative, meditate, be counselled, mentored spiritually and vocationally, and take your spiritual studies as deeply as you feel called to.

An organisation, Teen Challenge, who've branched into adults, and have some family residential places too, but who deal with addictions, may contain an existing template to evolve residential rehab for later-in-life diagnosed people who though not handling life, are capable of getting on and making a go with the right help.

It's vital this begins, I feel.

• I may be wrong but reading your post I wondered if you have considered a retreat in a monastery. They have guest rooms and are often in quiet places. 
Reply Children
No Data