Being autistic and Christian

I just wanted to start a thread to see what the experiences of any other autistic Christians are? As an autistic person who didn't know I was autistic until later life I have had an up and down relationship with my faith over the years. I have had some very bad experiences in church too, I know a lot of autistic people struggle with church for many reasons too.

Im not trying to convert or preach to anyone and I appreciate a lot of people on here aren't religious or anything but it would be really interesting and comforting to hear any experiences of fellow autistic Christians 

Parents
  • I was in my mid-forties when I was diagnosed and I am a long way along the RAAD-R scale to say the least. I was bought up in the church, but have had difficulties settling in church until my most recent one where it is more like a big family. I think the key was letting the holy spirit take charge. I also read the five love languages of God book and that lead me to serving as the main meeter and greeter for the church, which is not exactly a typical roll for an autistic but it has allowed me to get to know people and their names. Thus helping me to fit in and so making the tea, coffee and chit chat time afterwards a little easier. The other thing I did was to join the prayer group and bible study, as I realised that in order to become part of and be accepted by a church one has to put the effort in. So nowadays I am one of the stalwarts of the prayer group and if I don't attend I very touchingly get several messages checking I am ok, and I know there are people I can turn to confidentially for prayer when like any of us I am struggling mentally, spiritually or physically.

• I was in my mid-forties when I was diagnosed and I am a long way along the RAAD-R scale to say the least. I was bought up in the church, but have had difficulties settling in church until my most recent one where it is more like a big family. I think the key was letting the holy spirit take charge. I also read the five love languages of God book and that lead me to serving as the main meeter and greeter for the church, which is not exactly a typical roll for an autistic but it has allowed me to get to know people and their names. Thus helping me to fit in and so making the tea, coffee and chit chat time afterwards a little easier. The other thing I did was to join the prayer group and bible study, as I realised that in order to become part of and be accepted by a church one has to put the effort in. So nowadays I am one of the stalwarts of the prayer group and if I don't attend I very touchingly get several messages checking I am ok, and I know there are people I can turn to confidentially for prayer when like any of us I am struggling mentally, spiritually or physically.

Children
No Data