Being autistic and Christian

I just wanted to start a thread to see what the experiences of any other autistic Christians are? As an autistic person who didn't know I was autistic until later life I have had an up and down relationship with my faith over the years. I have had some very bad experiences in church too, I know a lot of autistic people struggle with church for many reasons too.

Im not trying to convert or preach to anyone and I appreciate a lot of people on here aren't religious or anything but it would be really interesting and comforting to hear any experiences of fellow autistic Christians 

Parents
  • Christianity was represented best by one person.  It has been misrepresented since.

I’m Catholic by training but spiritually open in recovery. 

I try to see where religious people are right and be open to learn from the best. 

Nothing is all or nothing including this sentence.  There’s a bit of good in all, a bit of bad in all.  I think my ASD’s literalism makes me forget that panic is not necessary if I see things the way they really are and not as I catastrophiize them. 

I notice too many people in Church so I sit as far to the front as possible.  This also allows me to be involved. 

I also don’t go to mass every week because I have the literalism of it being required and I took that as a child to mean I would be condemned to hell if I missed mass.

I challenge that literalism in my actions. 

• The only thing god seems to really want from us is participation in his creation and recognition of him as the creator. And we have the free will to not do it.

My experience of wrongdoing or wrong thinking, is that it doesn't work for me for very long. Obtaining the so called benefits of sin is a bit like taking heroin to solve a pain problem. It seems to work well initially...

On a different note entirely, I started this post way before Billys superb post below, and am just about to hit send, but got sidetracked by a compact lion (or large ginger cat) requiring my prescence, Will my post now appear below Billys as it should chronologically speaking, or did I "reserve a spot"?

• The only thing god seems to really want from us is participation in his creation and recognition of him as the creator. And we have the free will to not do it.

My experience of wrongdoing or wrong thinking, is that it doesn't work for me for very long. Obtaining the so called benefits of sin is a bit like taking heroin to solve a pain problem. It seems to work well initially...

On a different note entirely, I started this post way before Billys superb post below, and am just about to hit send, but got sidetracked by a compact lion (or large ginger cat) requiring my prescence, Will my post now appear below Billys as it should chronologically speaking, or did I "reserve a spot"?

Children
No Data