Help with Roundabouts

Hi Everyone,

I am currently learning to drive and the only thing i can't do is busy roundabouts (multi-lane), the issue is the number of cars that i need to process in little time. i know what i need to do, i just panic because there is so much to look at. My driving instructor and I were wondering if anybody has had a similar issue and has any tips to help?

Thanks,

Alisha xx

Parents
  • I found a lot of driving quite difficult and multi-lane roundabouts were absolutely one and were the instances where I was probably a bit of a danger while being instructed. 

The solution ended up being going on the multi lane roundabouts either when there were roadworks so things were going at a crawl or very early in the morning when there was barely anyone out. It allowed me to practice the formula for which lane I needed to be in which I then progressed to keep an eye on cars at the same time. This helped a lot with the roundabouts I was practicing for my tests, I still struggle quite a lot on unfamiliar roundabouts but as others have suggested, looking up areal shots and the roundabouts layout before hand helps a lot. The only other issue is when I get a diversion, but I'm usually sufficiently put out by the change of plan that the roundabout is the least of my problems.

I will say though, my favourite roundabout in my area is on a ring road near my test centre. If you're going straight on, there is a slip road you can take to completely bypass the roundabout. So yeah, the best roundabout is the one I can avoid. 

Hope you find a way to sort this out or get to a point where you're comfortable, good luck!

• I found a lot of driving quite difficult and multi-lane roundabouts were absolutely one and were the instances where I was probably a bit of a danger while being instructed. 

The solution ended up being going on the multi lane roundabouts either when there were roadworks so things were going at a crawl or very early in the morning when there was barely anyone out. It allowed me to practice the formula for which lane I needed to be in which I then progressed to keep an eye on cars at the same time. This helped a lot with the roundabouts I was practicing for my tests, I still struggle quite a lot on unfamiliar roundabouts but as others have suggested, looking up areal shots and the roundabouts layout before hand helps a lot. The only other issue is when I get a diversion, but I'm usually sufficiently put out by the change of plan that the roundabout is the least of my problems.

I will say though, my favourite roundabout in my area is on a ring road near my test centre. If you're going straight on, there is a slip road you can take to completely bypass the roundabout. So yeah, the best roundabout is the one I can avoid. 

Hope you find a way to sort this out or get to a point where you're comfortable, good luck!

Children
  • I've been driving 21 years and large roundabouts to this day still terrify me. I'm forever astonished at the people who just sail through them at 30 miles an hour with some kind of sixth sense that all will be well. I have to stop and check thoroughly, every single time. I can feel the fury of those behind, who presumably have that sixth sense I just mentioned. Most seem to have it, I don't. Anyway, not helpful that is it, other than to hopefully reassure that you are not alone.