Birthdays

Does anyone else hate birthdays?

I had one yesterday. I detested everything about it. They make me feel anxious, and the lead up to it is horrible. I can’t express how they make me feel, but I fought back a meltdown in the morning, as I had work. It was a real struggle and I still feel bad today.

I don’t like people saying happy birthday, so tried to keep my head down. I don’t understand the point of birthdays, but I still feel conflicted about what I should be doing on the day. Society expected that you do certain things to celebrate. I don’t want to celebrate. But if I don’t do something to mark the occasion, I feel left out and dejected. I don’t know why.

I still get a little cake, and I do like receiving cards. If I don’t get one, it does upset me, because it’s not hard to do, and doesn’t take any effort.

Gifts aren’t important to me, and I get stressed when I’m asked what I’d like (because I’m hard to buy for). I don’t want anyone wasting money on me,  and to be honest, at this age I don’t need anything. 
As far as I can recall, I’ve been like this since a young child.  I’m 49 by the way.

Parents
  • I’m lucky enough to live in a village so my small friends circle are only people I trust and feel comfortable around. The whole concept is completely alien to me but they treat it like any other day so it’s not too terrifying. Thankfully I don’t have to go through the expectations and try to be somebody I’m not. Mind you if I don’t want to deal with something I just drive too far to be around. 

• I’m lucky enough to live in a village so my small friends circle are only people I trust and feel comfortable around. The whole concept is completely alien to me but they treat it like any other day so it’s not too terrifying. Thankfully I don’t have to go through the expectations and try to be somebody I’m not. Mind you if I don’t want to deal with something I just drive too far to be around. 

Children
No Data