Autistic and coping with parenting

I was diagnosed with autism at 41 years old, just over 2 years ago and just before I had my son as a first time mum. The diagnosis has been very positive and a huge help in a lifetime of struggle. However having my son and covid has meant I have only more recently started to have headspace to try and process the diagnosis and find better strategies 

There is loads I could talk about here but one of the hardest things for me is being a parent and I'm really interested to hear fro  other parents with high functioning autism or aspergers on how you feel and manage

For me caring for another person who is so dependent on me is so hard. I love my son and I know I am a good parent to him but it takes everything out of me to put his needs first when really I only want to think about myself. I am constantly exhausted and think about about what my life was like when I didn't have this responsibility. Granted many parents feel this way but it's definitely worse because of my autism. My partner shares the same parenting fatigue but not the feelings about being oppressed and put upon and I have become depressed

What do other people do to cope? 

Parents
  • Hello, 

I'm new to this! So please bare with me. 

I have a daughter with autism, aged 4. And just recently she has been a nightmare with saying she can't have or do something she want to do. The tantrums are so bad at the moment. She hits her self not hard) and screams and shouts and crying nothing calms her till she gets what she wants. I'm struggling I need help and I don't know where to go with it all. i am a full time working mum and im exhausted. 

If anyone had advice please reply. 

Kaylie x

• Hello, 

I'm new to this! So please bare with me. 

I have a daughter with autism, aged 4. And just recently she has been a nightmare with saying she can't have or do something she want to do. The tantrums are so bad at the moment. She hits her self not hard) and screams and shouts and crying nothing calms her till she gets what she wants. I'm struggling I need help and I don't know where to go with it all. i am a full time working mum and im exhausted. 

If anyone had advice please reply. 

Kaylie x

Children
No Data