sensory issues

Hi

I have noticed recently that my sensory issues are a lot worse in the morning, especially with sound. My wife's daily conference call is grating to the ears, I have to often ask her to speak softer, when someone comes downstairs and turns on the lights I have a spike of irritation, I keep noticing small sounds that I don't normally hear like the ceiling fan etc.

Does anyone else have this issue? Why does it happen? Is it normal?

Fwiw I am recently self-diagnosed and working on getting my formal diagnosis but money is tight and I have enough issues as is.

Parents
  • You may benefit from Loop earplugs. I have a pair. They have different types based on what the sensory issue is that you have, so there's earphones for complete blocking out of all noise, earplugs for reducing noise and earplugs for sleep. Sensory issues are particularly stronger first thing in the morning when the body's sensory system is waking up and adjusting, and also when it is run down and in need of rest or if you're stressed. It heightens the sensory system and develops into overload. 

My neighbour happens to have a child with extreme ADHD and often disturbs us at odd times when we're either meant to be asleep or powering down for the evening. I'm getting some more soundproofing installed this weekend which should help block out the sound he makes. It also improves the acoustic quality of your own room which means the television can be knocked down a couple of notches, and the clarity of speaking and listening to phone calls is much clearer... and will naturally dim in volume.

Hope this helps.

• You may benefit from Loop earplugs. I have a pair. They have different types based on what the sensory issue is that you have, so there's earphones for complete blocking out of all noise, earplugs for reducing noise and earplugs for sleep. Sensory issues are particularly stronger first thing in the morning when the body's sensory system is waking up and adjusting, and also when it is run down and in need of rest or if you're stressed. It heightens the sensory system and develops into overload. 

My neighbour happens to have a child with extreme ADHD and often disturbs us at odd times when we're either meant to be asleep or powering down for the evening. I'm getting some more soundproofing installed this weekend which should help block out the sound he makes. It also improves the acoustic quality of your own room which means the television can be knocked down a couple of notches, and the clarity of speaking and listening to phone calls is much clearer... and will naturally dim in volume.

Hope this helps.

Children
No Data