Autistic Intertia

Hi, I am struggling with inertia big time. I have stopped from work for two weeks and am just overwhelmed. I have lots I need to get done but even the basic things are now hard where as before I could kind of do them. I only realised I was autistic a few weeks ago so that is adding to it. 

Is this an autism thing or just a me being strange thing?

Parents
  • Hi LegoBear,

I don't know if this is an autistic thing (I'm a newbie autie and I stopped researching autism because I got a bit overwhelmed with all the info) I think I know how you feel though. Sometimes I don't look forward to having time off even though I know I need it. I get a bit depressed and stressed thinking I have so much to do and I'm not relaxing in my allocated relaxing time. I think it's because of executive dysfunction and because of not liking change in routine.

So yeah, it sucks and I haven't figured out how to not do it yet. My only advice would be to write it all out, fun tasks, health tasks, and important (work-like) tasks and try to do an equal amount from each category. And try making yourself a "holiday" routine so you can feel a bit more ownership over your time (I right this down too so it feels more official because I like that) 

I guess the only other thing I would say is that it's OK not to be functioning how you think is ideal, you don't have to beat yourself up over it, it happens and maybe one day it won't.

Have a great day Slight smile

• Scarily similar to me, I have to be forced by management to take leave, but it ruins the familiarity of the routine, it takes about 2 days of rest to be able to be somewhat comfortable about it.

My workload is ridiculous and it concerns me it won't be dealt with whilst I am off

• Scarily similar to me, I have to be forced by management to take leave, but it ruins the familiarity of the routine, it takes about 2 days of rest to be able to be somewhat comfortable about it.

My workload is ridiculous and it concerns me it won't be dealt with whilst I am off

Children