Going on holiday

I have always struggled terribly with going on holiday, being away from my house and bed for a night is a huge trigger for me as is the change to my routine and going somewhere unfamiliar.

The thing is I am so interested in other countries and dream of travelling and seeing places like Germany and Switzerland and Holland that I have only read about in books.

My question is, are there any coping mechanisms any of you have found to help you go on holiday or go travelling? Just wondered if there might be some things I can do that can help with this as I really want to do it 

Parents Reply
  • The only trouble with me is that the more I plan something the more nervous I seem to get. 
    The only way I can have days out in this country is to do it spur of the moment on the day, if I decide to go somehwere in advance I have a panic attack and cant go. Unfortunatley, this doesnt work with going abroad as I have to decide in advance 

Children
  • I get this alot when with girlfriend I did the same holiday routine I did as a child but now I have responsibility I have do spur if the moment the more time I have thing the more anxious I get 

• I get this so much I think it's the add pressure if wanting them be happy and worrying about them. When your on your own you can zone out onto the things you like 
  • Yes my wife and young son. Wierdly I get far less nervous going places by myself, I think its because then I only have myself to think of and not anyone else to worry about if that makes sense 

• Some of this could be quite helpful to me, like maybe if i could see pictures of the hotel room before I go there so I could visualise myself there, stuff like that. The google earth idea is really good too

• Do you have someone to travel abroad with? Maybe they could share the load? They might like the planning part and take on that role and you could contribute something else? 

• I do still get tense even if I do plan - that’s true! But travelling without planning would be massively stressful for me. I even go on google earth to find exactly the place I’m going to park the car before I go somewhere. I go on street view and even look at how wide the road is - and look on council websites to see what the parking fee is and whether they take cash or card etc. I’m really paranoid about parking.

spend an age of tripadvisor too before I go somewhere.