Mood, depression and getting older

I wrote in my diary last week "in a strange mood but I don't know why, often get like this".

This week I'm wondering if I'm depressed but I don't feel sad or worthless. I sometimes have difficulty picking up on how I feel. I just know I've felt flat for quite a bit. My head is crammed full but otherwise I feel flat. I can't stop eating.

Interspersed with this are odd days of enjoyment and feeling in the flow. 

In the mix is also anxiety without worry but I have felt ok today.

I feel things are getting harder as I get older in my mid thirties but it's not like I have got any commitments in life apart from a partner, house and job of 4 days per week. 

It was noticeable things were easier for me in lockdown and I'm still adjusting back to normal. It sounds pathetic but it's the little things which put demand on executive function, on their own are nothing but added up make a big thing. Such things as remembering to get my dinner ready the night before or having to put make up on or wash my clothes for work. 

I have read before AS gets worse as you get older but I'm only mid thirties.

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks! I am over halfway through watching it and it has raised some interesting ideas already. I really like this idea of viewing your mood and thoughts like the weather: They explained that if it is raining we usually don't spend ages trying to figure out why it is raining (though there are reasons for it and we could probably spend ages trying to work it out) but instead we get out an umbrella and go on with our day. Sometimes practical solutions work very well. 

• That looks excellent - I will definitely watch that. Thanks for sharing it Sun with face

• Thanks for that, I will watch it in full when I'm better able to focus on it.  Ruby Wax is brilliant, and done great things with respect to mental health..  I bought her mindfulness book and that really helped me, brilliant just the bits about how the brain works - which she chose to study to help understand her own issues (and her mother I guess).