Told off at work

I am a teacher and there have been lots of changes at my school lately and I have a few meltdowns in the last few weeks. 

This morning I was upset and asked to speak to the acting head abd she was horrible. Told me I need to pull myself together and snap out of it. When I walk through the door I need to be in work mode. I need to pull myself together. She said either I am fit to work or not and I should go to my GP if I keep having these "episodes".

I felt completely belittled and like a child who had been told off. 

Parents
  • As an autistic teacher, that behaviour by the acting head is utterly inexcusable. Whether you choose to perceive it that way or not, autism counts as a disability and you have a right to have reasonable adjustments made. 

Have you tried discussing with your SENCO? They will be familiar with autism and can sometimes be useful in mediating with a difficult member of SLT.

• I spoke to the senco and she said to give it 24 hours for my feelings to die down before  I decide what to do.

• I would agree with that to the extent of yes, don't hand in your notice first thing tomorrow or anything like that! But I do think you need someone who knows what they're talking about (and presumably has some clout - I know our SENCOs have always been SLT) to facilitate a discussion. Not only is it a worrying way to treat staff, but that level of ignorance regarding autism is not something I would want to see from anyone working in a school. 

• I would agree with that to the extent of yes, don't hand in your notice first thing tomorrow or anything like that! But I do think you need someone who knows what they're talking about (and presumably has some clout - I know our SENCOs have always been SLT) to facilitate a discussion. Not only is it a worrying way to treat staff, but that level of ignorance regarding autism is not something I would want to see from anyone working in a school. 

Children
No Data