Told off at work

I am a teacher and there have been lots of changes at my school lately and I have a few meltdowns in the last few weeks. 

This morning I was upset and asked to speak to the acting head abd she was horrible. Told me I need to pull myself together and snap out of it. When I walk through the door I need to be in work mode. I need to pull myself together. She said either I am fit to work or not and I should go to my GP if I keep having these "episodes".

I felt completely belittled and like a child who had been told off. 

Parents
  • As an autistic teacher, that behaviour by the acting head is utterly inexcusable. Whether you choose to perceive it that way or not, autism counts as a disability and you have a right to have reasonable adjustments made. 

Have you tried discussing with your SENCO? They will be familiar with autism and can sometimes be useful in mediating with a difficult member of SLT.

• She even said that she when Ofsted come, she wouldn't ask for them to look at my subject because she thought I would break down in front of the inspector

• She's not been in the job long then, has she? You don't get to tell Ofsted what to look at, Ofsted look at whatever the heck they want! My hot take on her is that she sounds very insecure - "acting head" says a lot - and very worried about Ofsted, and is taking this out on staff, not that it justifies her behaviour in any way.

Are you in one of the unions? If not, I would strongly recommend joining one, and if you are, is your union rep someone who would be helpful? 

• She's not been in the job long then, has she? You don't get to tell Ofsted what to look at, Ofsted look at whatever the heck they want! My hot take on her is that she sounds very insecure - "acting head" says a lot - and very worried about Ofsted, and is taking this out on staff, not that it justifies her behaviour in any way.

Are you in one of the unions? If not, I would strongly recommend joining one, and if you are, is your union rep someone who would be helpful? 

Children
No Data