How did you do in school?

Just curious about people who slipped through the net, so to speak.  How did you cope with school?  I developed quite good ways of hiding how much i struggled.  It helped that i was in most of the bottom sets, as no one really cared back then.  I was in the top set for biology, i excelled in that area.  Nothing else part from sport.  I hated going in every day,  i was like a zombie....i literally cant remember my last year in school.  Ive blanked it out completely. 

Parents
  • I coped very badly, constant bullying and anxiety, lashing out at the bullies which always got me into trouble.  I did do very well in maths and art though (and a very early computer studies).  couldn't wait to leave but I went straight into the old YTS scheme doing computer studies and all the same things happened - bullying, being the outsider etc.  All this without knowing about Autism.

School sucked

• I didnt get bullied too badly.  Had to occasional person who wanted to beat me up for nothing at all, but besides that....i just flew under the radar.  Went to college, couldnt make friends either.  Suprisingly, i found the bullies to be in the work place.  I left one job because of one.  In another, i snapped and threatened one particular co worker.  Didnt bother me again....that wad after months of name calling, getting other staff to call me names.  Finally pushed the nuclear option.....

• i snapped and threatened one particular co worker.  Didnt bother me again....

When I was at junior school, walking home one day a much taller bigger older kid kept harassing me. I was a short ar5e and people thought me unthreatening.

After warning him to back off, unsuccessfully, I swung around and punched him in the chest. He dropped like a sack of spuds and span in circles on the floor. Everyone was surprised, including me. It must have been a lucky winding shot.

But we all learnt, don't mess with the little kid.

It gave me a lot of confidence to stand up for myself. It also taught me that people are wary of unpredictable behaviours. People don't expect tables, chairs, bicycles etc to be thrown at them, until they're actually thrown at them.

Not the best way to behave, and definitely not in adulthood. But it certainly worked for a while. 

• i snapped and threatened one particular co worker.  Didnt bother me again....

When I was at junior school, walking home one day a much taller bigger older kid kept harassing me. I was a short ar5e and people thought me unthreatening.

After warning him to back off, unsuccessfully, I swung around and punched him in the chest. He dropped like a sack of spuds and span in circles on the floor. Everyone was surprised, including me. It must have been a lucky winding shot.

But we all learnt, don't mess with the little kid.

It gave me a lot of confidence to stand up for myself. It also taught me that people are wary of unpredictable behaviours. People don't expect tables, chairs, bicycles etc to be thrown at them, until they're actually thrown at them.

Not the best way to behave, and definitely not in adulthood. But it certainly worked for a while. 

Children
No Data