Using Autism as an excuse

My family are cross with me as they say that since I was diagnosed I am using my autism as an excuse not to change my behaviour and that am doing things now that I wouldn't have  done before and "blaming" it in on my autism. 

I don't know how to deal with this information. Do I need to pretend that I am not autistic and go back to masking and hiding who I really am? Do I need to act as if I never got a diagnosis and not mention my autism ever again? 

My husband says that he feels like he is the only one expected to change in our relationship because  now I am autistic it means that I have an excuse not to have to make any changes.

I really don't know what I am supposed to do this information or what I should do about it!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any advice on what I should do?

I feel like no-one is willing to accept me as I am and everyone is fed up with me being autsistic!

Parents
  • My husband says that he feels like he is the only one expected to change in our relationship because  now I am autistic it means that I have an excuse not to have to make any changes.

It’s difficult for you. You know deep down what you want/need but don’t want to do it? 

ive recently been diagnosed, I thought this will help people around me understand.. yes they understand when things are great. But when things are not great I’m an excuse “oh here we go, *** and his anxiety” bang slam bang bang bang scream bang.. no things stayed like this for me and I would give my right arm to leave my partner but hey! That’s me 

• My husband says that he feels like he is the only one expected to change in our relationship because  now I am autistic it means that I have an excuse not to have to make any changes.

It’s difficult for you. You know deep down what you want/need but don’t want to do it? 

ive recently been diagnosed, I thought this will help people around me understand.. yes they understand when things are great. But when things are not great I’m an excuse “oh here we go, *** and his anxiety” bang slam bang bang bang scream bang.. no things stayed like this for me and I would give my right arm to leave my partner but hey! That’s me 

Children
No Data