Using Autism as an excuse

My family are cross with me as they say that since I was diagnosed I am using my autism as an excuse not to change my behaviour and that am doing things now that I wouldn't have  done before and "blaming" it in on my autism. 

I don't know how to deal with this information. Do I need to pretend that I am not autistic and go back to masking and hiding who I really am? Do I need to act as if I never got a diagnosis and not mention my autism ever again? 

My husband says that he feels like he is the only one expected to change in our relationship because  now I am autistic it means that I have an excuse not to have to make any changes.

I really don't know what I am supposed to do this information or what I should do about it!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any advice on what I should do?

I feel like no-one is willing to accept me as I am and everyone is fed up with me being autsistic!

Parents
  • I’m going to reply again,. If had a *** life and was labelled with anxiety and was never looked past this. 

now I have been diagnosed, I’m going to use it every possible way to make me have some sort of happy future. 
    autism isn’t a excuse.. its a large % of the other majority 

• I’m going to reply again,. If had a *** life and was labelled with anxiety and was never looked past this. 

now I have been diagnosed, I’m going to use it every possible way to make me have some sort of happy future. 
    autism isn’t a excuse.. its a large % of the other majority 

Children
  • I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I relate to this. Growing up in an abusive household led me to develop anxiety (but I think I'd have had anxiety anyway) and no one looked further than that. But for me so many things just didn't add up to pure anxiety so I started digging. The more I spend time in the community, the more comfortable I feel with myself and someday when I move out from my parent's house I'm going to purse a diagnosis. 

But realizing that I might be autistic has really allowed me to show more of myself. Everyone around me knows I'm weird and quirky so I don't mask much at home, but recently I've stopped masking stimming and my parents called me out on it a few times thinking it was too weird and make fun of me (they didn't listen to me when I presented my thoughts). Anyway, I know I was rambling, but I'm getting to my point. I spend more time with my friends and girlfriend who really accept me. It's good to find those people in your life. You do have to understand that others won't always get you and in relationships there's give and take, but they can't do all the taking when all your life you've done all the giving and finally realize you don't have to. 

I'm not sure if that made sense, but I hope it helped