Using Autism as an excuse

My family are cross with me as they say that since I was diagnosed I am using my autism as an excuse not to change my behaviour and that am doing things now that I wouldn't have  done before and "blaming" it in on my autism. 

I don't know how to deal with this information. Do I need to pretend that I am not autistic and go back to masking and hiding who I really am? Do I need to act as if I never got a diagnosis and not mention my autism ever again? 

My husband says that he feels like he is the only one expected to change in our relationship because  now I am autistic it means that I have an excuse not to have to make any changes.

I really don't know what I am supposed to do this information or what I should do about it!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any advice on what I should do?

I feel like no-one is willing to accept me as I am and everyone is fed up with me being autsistic!

Parents
  • Mines a recent diagnosis. My mother 1955 told me I’m a insult to real autistic people. I should be ashamed!

she’ll keep it her dirty secret and won’t tell anybody her son is autistic. She is angry because her mind has been poisoned and stereotypes ASD to down syndrome type illness. I feel pressured into nodding and agreeing.

• Mines a recent diagnosis. My mother 1955 told me I’m a insult to real autistic people. I should be ashamed!

she’ll keep it her dirty secret and won’t tell anybody her son is autistic. She is angry because her mind has been poisoned and stereotypes ASD to down syndrome type illness. I feel pressured into nodding and agreeing.

Children
  • so sorry to hear that Stephen. 

• Hi Stephen 

I think it must be really hard for you to not be able to feel comfident and comfortable around your mum when she has such thoughts about you in reguards with Autism. As long as you never listen or let those sorts of comments stick around in your head then don't worry about it because you must stay true to yourself and not let anyone change you because you are Autistic. It's difficult when not everyone has the same understanding of Autism as you and it can get you down and feeling ashamed. Sorry that you have to go through these things but there are so many people who do accept you and won't shame you at all. 

It seems she has a lot more to learn about Autism and the way she processes it herself because it's clearly becoming obvious that she hides the fact you are Autistic. And there is no such thing as being a REAL Auitistic person [maybe let your mother know that], everybody has their traits and it dosen't define anyone. 

Thank you for your post, it can seem crazy how little others know about Autism. Goodluck with everything :]