Ear plugs - what would you recommend?

I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying some quality ear plugs. What ear plugs would you recommend for sleeping? Ear plugs seem to be the only solution for blocking out unwanted night time noise at my flat, which is by a busy road.

What are your experiences of using ear plugs? Do they help you?

Parents
  • The Imp of the Perverse writes...

I have had trouble with a sensitivity to noise for a long time...this may not work for you as it feels unnatural when first using them but wax earplugs are my first choice. Boots have some large awkward ones which I tear into two so that they fit better. Another choice but more expensive are a smaller variety called Quies which are wrapped in cotton wool but I take this off to bung them in. As I'm sleeping better these days I can't remember if they still say to throw them out after one night's use but I never have. I used to make them last a week before throwing them out or clean them to se them for longer. Some might find this disgusting and with your contamination worries you may do so as well (I don't really like the waxy feel on my fingers I have to say too). All in all when you finally lie down and hear nothing it is such a blessed relief that the slight feeling of discomfort soon drops away.

• The Imp of the Perverse writes...

I have had trouble with a sensitivity to noise for a long time...this may not work for you as it feels unnatural when first using them but wax earplugs are my first choice. Boots have some large awkward ones which I tear into two so that they fit better. Another choice but more expensive are a smaller variety called Quies which are wrapped in cotton wool but I take this off to bung them in. As I'm sleeping better these days I can't remember if they still say to throw them out after one night's use but I never have. I used to make them last a week before throwing them out or clean them to se them for longer. Some might find this disgusting and with your contamination worries you may do so as well (I don't really like the waxy feel on my fingers I have to say too). All in all when you finally lie down and hear nothing it is such a blessed relief that the slight feeling of discomfort soon drops away.

Children
No Data