Work

I am really struggling with anxiety at the moment and as a result am currently off sick from work.  It will be three months this month that I've been off and to be honest I don't know how I'll be able to return.  I'm just so burnt out with the camouflaging and masking that I've done over many years (not realising that I am autistic) and it's had such a detrimental affect on my self esteem.  I'm now thinking I'll never be able to work unless I can find a job where I am alone.  

Parents
  • I was in the same boat, this time last year, with a Disability Employability Programme; then finding a job at the Randox Covid Lab in Antrim. (Northern Ireland) I only lasted three hours before I resigned; not only did I lose breath with the mask, but it took me far too long to degown/regown.

This is how one's repaid, whenever they suit up and show up. The Job Market isn't Autism-Friendly. That's the sad reality of it.

• I was in the same boat, this time last year, with a Disability Employability Programme; then finding a job at the Randox Covid Lab in Antrim. (Northern Ireland) I only lasted three hours before I resigned; not only did I lose breath with the mask, but it took me far too long to degown/regown.

This is how one's repaid, whenever they suit up and show up. The Job Market isn't Autism-Friendly. That's the sad reality of it.

Children
  • Thank you so much for your reply.  It's so difficult isn't it - I'm actually suffering with anxiety symptoms right now just thinking about work.  I think I'm going to have to quit and find an alternative but the whole interview process scares me too.  I just don't know what to do for the best