Problems with work / Advice about Universal Credit and PIP

Hello,

I know I have posted about work problems on here before but I need some advice after today.

So today I had a complete breakdown about going to work. It has been bad for a while but today was the worst. I ended up curled up on the bathroom floor crying and screaming for about 20 minutes. Once I finally got in the car (my wife was driving) I was shaking uncontrollably and babbling hysterically, saying the same sentances over and over again really fast. I was scratching my hair and hitting my head with my hand. 

We had to give up and turn home.

First of all I wanted to ask if anyone else has had experiences like this about going to work?

Secondly, if I leave my job because of mental health problems and autism will it affect Universal Credit? We currently have a claim as my wife only works part time, not sure if we would get more or less if I was out of work with stress

Thirdly, how does PIP payments work? A friend of my wifes told me about it today, not sure if I would be eligable but my anxiety is so bad I am at the point where I pyshically cannot go to work

(Bear in mind I am still waiting for my official autism diagnosis. I have been on the waiting list for that since September, not long I know)

Any help with any of this I would be really grateful for 

Parents
  • Oh no.  This sounds exactly like what I'm going through too.  I'm currently signed off and I don't see how I can go back to my job - I just can't stop crying, shaking etc thinking about it.  I would suggest getting a sick note from your GP to at least give you some thinking time. 

• Thats exactly what happened to me. Im here for you, I know how horrible it is

I have got a doctors note now so thats given me a bit of time to look after mysefl. Have you managed to get one?

• Hi Billy, yes I've actually been signed off since 24th September - I honestly don't know how I'll be able to go back to it.  I had a teams meeting with work last week and I completely broke down - I just couldn't stop crying.  I've asked for reduced hours so I only work mornings but I'm not sure that will be enough - I love working with kids but it's the rest of school that I struggle with - other adults, lots of change, lots of responsibility - I'm now thinking of a complete change - maybe going back to admin or just working in a supermarket a couple of days a week.  My ideal job would be to work completely alone but these jobs seem hard to come by.

• Hi Mrs G,

Im glad your meeting with HR went ok and hopefully you didnt feel too overwhelmed by it. 

Admin from home sounds like a good idea. I think a lot more jobs are looking for people to work from home atm so there may be a few openings. 

I totally understand how you feel. I have an anxiety attack every time I leave the house at the moment. Last week my wife left me in town by myself and I just felt so overwhelmed and anxious I had to go and sit in the library and read books till she came back. You are not alone

I am doing not too bad thank you. I am trying to focus on my writing which helps and just spending time with loved ones 

• Hi Billy, thank you so much for your reply. 

My meeting with HR went ok - I have to have an appointment with occupational therapy for them to give a 'medical perspective' on my request for reduced hours so we'll see how that goes.  

I'm rubbish with my hands unfortunately but I'm thinking about maybe an admin role for home. 

I will be off until well into the new year and then I'm hoping to feel strong enough to try to return to work to at least try if I can cope with it - if I breakdown again I'm going to leave and look for something else.  It's so hard though because I can't even leave the house alone at the minute.  I have to have my husband or one of my sons with me. 

How are you doing? 

• Hi Billy, thank you so much for your reply. 

My meeting with HR went ok - I have to have an appointment with occupational therapy for them to give a 'medical perspective' on my request for reduced hours so we'll see how that goes.  

I'm rubbish with my hands unfortunately but I'm thinking about maybe an admin role for home. 

I will be off until well into the new year and then I'm hoping to feel strong enough to try to return to work to at least try if I can cope with it - if I breakdown again I'm going to leave and look for something else.  It's so hard though because I can't even leave the house alone at the minute.  I have to have my husband or one of my sons with me. 

How are you doing? 

Children
  • Hi Mrs G,

Im glad your meeting with HR went ok and hopefully you didnt feel too overwhelmed by it. 

Admin from home sounds like a good idea. I think a lot more jobs are looking for people to work from home atm so there may be a few openings. 

I totally understand how you feel. I have an anxiety attack every time I leave the house at the moment. Last week my wife left me in town by myself and I just felt so overwhelmed and anxious I had to go and sit in the library and read books till she came back. You are not alone

I am doing not too bad thank you. I am trying to focus on my writing which helps and just spending time with loved ones