'we are all on the spectrum'

Why do people say this? We aren't otherwise there would be no need for a diagnosis.

The spectrum isn't linear. It's not most autistic to least autistic.

FFS this kind of thing annoys me so much

Parents
  • As a scientist I would assert that all spectra are linear, I'm especially aware of this as I worked in mass spectrometry. What is shown visually as an 'autistic spectrum' is in fact an 'autistic colour wheel'. This is a valid way of looking at autism, but it is not a spectrum. I think that if psychologists were more accurate in their use of 'physical science' terms they would have called autism something like  'Autism Continuum Condition'.

Interestingly, recent research is pointing to two genetic inputs into autism. Firstly, numerous small genetic variants close to specific genes that have been associated with autism. These small variations are very common in the population at large. Secondly, smaller numbers of larger genetic change variants close to genes associated with autism. These larger variations are much, much rarer in the general population.

For the type of autism primarily caused by the common genetic variants, the entire population has these variants and it is only a higher than average concentration of them that causes clinical autism. In this case then it could be reasonably claimed that 'everyone is on the spectrum'.

• You could also claim that everyone feels a bit depressed sometimes, doesn't mean everyone has depression.

You could say that about anything in life really, doesn't mean everyone has a diagnose-able condition.

The statement hugely invalidates autistic people's struggles  

• Seriously could not agree more with this statement! Absolutely hate when people say stuff like oh I have an anxiety disorder because I got anxious Face palm♂️ No just no! I have an anxiety disorder and I haven't been able to go out my house for over 2 years! I don't know this world confuses me Rofl

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your post and moan Grin

• Totally agree with you too

Reply Children
No Data