Melanie Sykes have just been diagnosed with autism

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59352983

Melanie Sykes has just been diagnosed as being autistic 

She like many here remained undiagnosed until later in life. 

very positive article

Parents
  • Thank you so much for posting this. I can't put into words how I feel. Hopefully this should be a positive step in helping people understand autism and breaking down stereotypes.

Edit - also mixed feelings that it should take a highish profile celebrity who doesnt fit the stereotypical mould to announce this in order for people to start listening. 

Further edit - I like melanie sykes. I don't know much about the other one just that she's always in the local news website it seems wanting attention about her kids. I'm sure it must be difficult for her but I can't help feeling she uses it just yo get "air time". 

• the more publicy she can generate the better for all people with autism.   

• I agree.  I think it'll give women a bit more confidence to speak up about it. Maybe in terms of our needs. I thought the five points near the end if the article from this website were helpful.

There's a lady in my class who is dyslexic. Although there are still misconceptions about dyslexia,  I feel it's more accepted.  I'm saying this because she spoke up last week. "I need to do such and such" in class. Whereas I still feel like I can't say at work for example ""I need to do such and such" because I'm still made to feel a bit that it's all in my head (which technically,  it is).

• I agree.  I think it'll give women a bit more confidence to speak up about it. Maybe in terms of our needs. I thought the five points near the end if the article from this website were helpful.

There's a lady in my class who is dyslexic. Although there are still misconceptions about dyslexia,  I feel it's more accepted.  I'm saying this because she spoke up last week. "I need to do such and such" in class. Whereas I still feel like I can't say at work for example ""I need to do such and such" because I'm still made to feel a bit that it's all in my head (which technically,  it is).

Children
No Data