Relationships

Has anyone else struggled? Apart from when I was very young I only have very short term relationships- usually about 3 months, and I’m usually the one to end them. It can be years in between relationships though. I’ve always been awful at judging how to get across to someone that I’m interested, sometimes I try anyway and it may or may not go well - I often do cringeworthy things like fail to notice a wedding ring or something. Sometimes though I don’t really understand what I could have done differently, other than be a bit more forward on the times where I didn’t speak up enough - it’s just my difficulty understanding signals over the years, even though I believe I’m better now, as well as generally being an absent minded, daydreaming oddball (even if the women I’ve been with have assured me they find my appearance very attractive), has totally sapped my confidence. I have almost zero success with dating apps. 

I expect a lot of this is more a problem for autistic men, as it’s normally men who do the asking, but I suppose for autistic women there are other relationship difficulties?

It would be interesting to know if anyone has had similar experiences, and if they have any advice. 

Thanks

Parents
  • I'm single! I think had I known some very fundamental principles of investing in a partnership I may have been able to navigate when younger, but wasn't made aware of far too many things until much later in life. Misunderstanding and misrepresentations when in relationship with NTs are too much and I also discovered that ENFPs are incredibly attracted to INTJs but as an INTJ, they can be very frustrating to deal with unless mature and I've not met a mature one. 

I also found I cannot focus on self-employment work and also have a relationship. Females may well leave males alone to their man-cave, but I've never met a male who will let me work uninterrupted when they also expect me to help produce an income. 

• My early experiences are similar.. but then that’s hindsight for you.

Can I ask what you mean by ENFPs and INTJs?

Reply Children