imagination

Do we really lack imagination?

I see this so often in the literature

Looking at the web pages on "understanding behaviour" - "Anxiety in adults....." it says "To understand emotion you need imagination. One of the areas of difficulty for people with autism is not being able to imagine things"

But further on, under psychological signs, it has "thinking constantly about the worst outcome". How do we do this without an imagination?

It it more about type of imagination? Or too much imagination making subtle imagination harder?

Parents
  • High anxiety because of an overactive imagination seems to be quite common.  I have that problem too.  I have also written a couple of stories, and I used people I know as I didn't think I would be able to create characters.  I could make up quite fanciful SF scenarios though.

I think I agree: we have quite powerful imaginations, except for the part about understanding other people's emotions.  Is that imagination at all?

• High anxiety because of an overactive imagination seems to be quite common.  I have that problem too.  I have also written a couple of stories, and I used people I know as I didn't think I would be able to create characters.  I could make up quite fanciful SF scenarios though.

I think I agree: we have quite powerful imaginations, except for the part about understanding other people's emotions.  Is that imagination at all?

Children
No Data