BASS waiting list times BATH/BRISTOL

It may not seem like a long time but I was referred to BASS for an ASD diagnosis in mid February of this year and got the processing paperwork and screening questionnaire in mid march. Its now been almost 8 months and I have heard nothing in regards to my first appointment. Anyone have any experience with the service and can tell me how long they waited?

Parents
  • Hi, I was with BASS. I got referred in December 2020, a triage appointment in July 2021, and am still waiting for my next appointment. I have been told to call back in April if they haven't contacted me.

It is worth mentioning, when they contacted me about the first appointment, it was a random phone call out of the blue from a withheld number in which they arranged my appointment for a weeks time. It was very very short notice. I was not prepared and it made me very stressed. So be somewhat prepared for that in case that is your experience too.

I do however have a friend who was with them who 'fell off' their waiting list and it wasn't until she contacted them after 2 years that they sorted out her second appointment. 

They have a very long waiting list, in part because they stopped all appointments and referrals through a lot of 2020, but I think you should give them a ring to get an idea of how long it will be, and to check they still have you on their register and that they have received your forms. 

• I just got my triage appointment at it was the same, random call in the afternoon from a number with no caller ID, appointment in 5 days time which is quite stressful 

Reply Children
  • Yeah they don't like a lot of notice do they. Not great for an autism centre which should know how difficult many autistic people find sudden events and change in my opinion, but it's good you've got your appointment. I hope it goes well, my people were nice and I hope yours are too.