Pacing as a stim?

I do this in my house. Pacing from kitchen to living room, my wife is thinking of putting me in a looney bin, she understands a little why I do it. I do it to soothe me from anxiety and it is a bit ocd for me as I have to reach a certain amount of steps, which then becomes a little annoying. I suppose it keeps me fit. And also in my back garden I do it.

Parents
  • walk around in circles

oh yes, same here, I do not like phonecalling at all.

and then there is pacing to focus my thoughts, works if I can make at least 5 steps forward, then turn around, and again 5 steps forward, I do hand stimming along pacing as well

• I'm not officially diagnosed, but this is something I've done all my life. If I'm on the phone I'm walking in circles around my room or else I get jittery and can't focus on anything the other person is saying. But phone calls have always been hard to begin with and I realized recently that I copy the way my mom talks on the phone down to a T. Inflection and everything. That's the only way I can get through phone calls and I've recently realized that that IS masking. But I mostly stim by rocking when I'm anxious, hand flapping and screeching when I'm excited, and I'm always picking at my nails or snapping or flicking my fingers. 

• I'm not officially diagnosed, but this is something I've done all my life. If I'm on the phone I'm walking in circles around my room or else I get jittery and can't focus on anything the other person is saying. But phone calls have always been hard to begin with and I realized recently that I copy the way my mom talks on the phone down to a T. Inflection and everything. That's the only way I can get through phone calls and I've recently realized that that IS masking. But I mostly stim by rocking when I'm anxious, hand flapping and screeching when I'm excited, and I'm always picking at my nails or snapping or flicking my fingers. 

Children
No Data