Pacing as a stim?

I do this in my house. Pacing from kitchen to living room, my wife is thinking of putting me in a looney bin, she understands a little why I do it. I do it to soothe me from anxiety and it is a bit ocd for me as I have to reach a certain amount of steps, which then becomes a little annoying. I suppose it keeps me fit. And also in my back garden I do it.

Parents
  • I used to do it as part of my teaching approach, moving around a horseshoe of students, keeping them guessing whose turn it was next etc. i also used to pace around the room while the students were doing mingle activities, to both make sure they were basically doing the required task and also to occasionally join in the activity myself. I guess most of them knew i was a bit eccentric, but it rarely seemed to bother them. It kept us all on out toes really. And yes, I do consider what I was engaged into to be a form of stimming. I found that it really helped me to concentrate on their response, and reflect on what should best happen next. At the time I came to a self-realisation, I was actually doing a video observed class. I was partly alerted by the stimming, but also by my whole general manner in the classroom. I still figure that it was a constructive and productive approach. And not without humour.

• I used to do it as part of my teaching approach, moving around a horseshoe of students, keeping them guessing whose turn it was next etc. i also used to pace around the room while the students were doing mingle activities, to both make sure they were basically doing the required task and also to occasionally join in the activity myself. I guess most of them knew i was a bit eccentric, but it rarely seemed to bother them. It kept us all on out toes really. And yes, I do consider what I was engaged into to be a form of stimming. I found that it really helped me to concentrate on their response, and reflect on what should best happen next. At the time I came to a self-realisation, I was actually doing a video observed class. I was partly alerted by the stimming, but also by my whole general manner in the classroom. I still figure that it was a constructive and productive approach. And not without humour.

Children
No Data