Numerology. How many of you is master numbers?

Anyone?

• Thanks for this thread!

I love the patterns numbers makes too, yet I am bad at multiplication, dividing and adding subtracting. I can use visual "pie charts" to come with the answer to within a few single digits. I love the number 5 as a prime as it makes such a unique sequence pattern from any other prime, and 7 to a slightly lesser degree. 7 makes me feel uneasy, though, while 5 makes me feel reassured and happy. long numbers have an internal logic that doesn't rely on order and I like to ponder them. I enjoy the patterns numerology makes too. 

• Am I the only one totally useless at maths, and that can't spell too? I literally use my fingers if I have to add and subtract numbers bigger than about 20.

• Numbers are all nonsense. C wot I did there!

• I like the math of music.

• I've calculated from my birth data = 30=3?

from my name it's 11=2?

where can we go to nind ut more about this?

• same for me about 5! It's unique. But I like 11 and 13 from the iching.

• Please explain. I like the prime number 5. My name adds up to 11 and I like that number a lot too, and the number 13.

• Actually I'm better at the numbers round on Countdown. Strange because I prefer letters and words...I wouldn't say I love mental arithmetic though. I just love symmetrical dates, like 2/1/12 etc.

• I love mental arithmetic. I prefer the numbers rounds on countdown. I like doing numerical crosswords 

• Maybe...but I wish the Americans would realise they aren't the only ones to be invaded.

I just thought, I wonder if limiting the genders in languages reflects on how many human genders people understand...

• I remember how exciting calculators where when we got them at school. And digital watches. Everyone's watch beeped on the hour every lesson and annoyed us all!

• When I got my first calculator in about 1976 I thought, great! No need for remembering times tables, how to use a log book or a slide rule, and promptly forgot all of these things. While being adequate at maths in general, I have close to zero abilities in mental arithmetic. I never know if I have been given the correct change.

• I used to do maths competitions for fun and when I was 16 I qualified for the Olympiad Training Camp where they start selection for the UK International Maths Olympiad team. Now I am doing a maths masters degree. But I'm not very good any more compared to my coursemates because my 'special interest' changed.

• We would probably still have three genders - masculine, feminine and neuter. We have a lot to thank the Normans for. 

• Yes, I don't want to be rude but I know all that. Hopefully other people will learn from it.

Did I tell you about this book (I can't get the font any smaller)

How We'd Talk If the English Had Won in 1066

smile.amazon.co.uk/.../0755211677

It's how the English language would have continued if the Norman French hadn't conquered us in 1066. Many of the words are understandable but as the book continues, they go out of the window as we've forgotten them.

What annoys me is when Americans say 'you Brits, you don't know what it's like to be invaded.' Er...None of our monarchs were born in England or spoke English for 300 years! Not even considering the previous invasions of Britain Rofl 

• I've studied the origins of the English language. It's fascinating to me. All languages are! 

In English, we really have two dialects, or sub-languages. High English and Low English. High English evolved from Norman French and Low English from Scandinavia and other Germanic people. You can always tell if an English word is of Anglo-Saxon (Low English) origin or of French (High English) origin.  Short, informal, and simple words that have an immediate emotional impact upon us are Anglo-Saxon, whilst  longer, more formal, abstract words are French.

This is because French was spoken primarily by the aristocracy, the rich, the clergy and the so-called highly educated—whereas Anglo-Saxon was spoken by the ordinary people. It's why a pig (Anglo-Saxon word) becomes Pork (French word for pig) when cooked. The peasants farmed the pigs, but the aristocracy ate them and called it pork. The same is true for Cow/Beef and Lamb/Mutton

Sea (Anglo-Saxon)
    Ocean (French)

King/Queen (Anglo-Saxon)
    Monarch/Monarchy (French)

to ask (Anglo-Saxon)
    to question (French)

School (Anglo-Saxon)
    College/University/Academy (French)

• M husband is an 11 Master number, I am a 33 Master number.  Why? What have you discovered :)

• And the etymology of words is fascinating e.g. most English words are actually French due to the Norman invasion of 1066. We've just Anglicised them. I was quite disappointed to find that out tbh.