Sharing Special Interest

I get so mad when people disregard my special interests.

If I try to tell people or talk about my special interest and they say its bad, or they dont care, or it's not their kind of thing, I just get so so upset. To the point of feeling so angry like I just want to scream at them like you're not any better than me for not enjoying this thing.

Why can't everyone just be respectful to peoples interests and dont just disregard them and push them aside.

Also: Feel free to share your interests below!!

Parents
  • Everyone’s interests should be valued as they are personal and meaningful. If someone doesn’t respect your interests and their importance, then they don’t realise how significant and valuable they are to you as an autistic person. 

It might help to talk to other autistic people on this forum as passionate interests will be shared.

What are your interests? (You can talk about them forever on here).

• Harry Potter is my biggest special interest, but I feel like thats quite a common one.

Today I was talking to a friend about another interest of mine which is films and actors/actresses, specifically from the Hollywood golden era.

Firstly, he didn't know who Audrey Hepburn was, which was baffling to me. Secondly he didn't know Marilyn Monroe was an actress. Anyway, I was naming actors I liked and he kept going 'who's that'.... well AN ACTOR obviously? how am I supposed to explain someone to you if you've never seen any of their films or even heard of them?

Also, he kept saying he hadnt seen any films before 1990, which again, terrifying, but then he was saying he dislikes old films and the acting is terrible. Well how can you say that without watching any?

I just found it really rude, obviously I cant give full context but I just thought you could atleast pretend to want to know more about it.

• Harry Potter is my biggest special interest, but I feel like thats quite a common one.

Today I was talking to a friend about another interest of mine which is films and actors/actresses, specifically from the Hollywood golden era.

Firstly, he didn't know who Audrey Hepburn was, which was baffling to me. Secondly he didn't know Marilyn Monroe was an actress. Anyway, I was naming actors I liked and he kept going 'who's that'.... well AN ACTOR obviously? how am I supposed to explain someone to you if you've never seen any of their films or even heard of them?

Also, he kept saying he hadnt seen any films before 1990, which again, terrifying, but then he was saying he dislikes old films and the acting is terrible. Well how can you say that without watching any?

I just found it really rude, obviously I cant give full context but I just thought you could atleast pretend to want to know more about it.

Children
  • My 'reading diary' for junior school was literally Harry Potter 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Harry Potter 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, on repeat for about 3 years. I used to stay up late reading the books over and over again. At break time I usually walked around by myself, imagining I was at Hogwarts with Harry, Ron and Hermione. 

I think the reason I liked it so much is that the internal logic of the Harry Potter universe makes a lot of sense. There are strict 'scientific' rules for how the magic works, more than in other fantasy universes and this makes it believable, even if you're pedantic. The main characters also have very believable personalities.

• Thanks, I will look at the website later.

Have you seen this video about Newt?

https://youtu.be/1bzgZveMbR0

I love researching autism and read many autism blogs such as Neuroclastic and Autistic Village. I am also currently writing a report about autism and the masking presentation. It is now about 35 pages as I have gone on a tangent writing and critiquing different theories. I am still only on the first section though.

I also really love in depth discussions about autism, neurodiversity and monotropism. I definitely feel passionately about neurodiversity as autism is a neurological difference that has many strengths (such as these interests). Autism and neurodivergence acceptance is really important to me.

Thanks for asking, I really appreciate it.

• You can find your house, wand and patronus here: Wizarding World: The Official Home of Harry Potter

Yes! I love Newt so so much. I've always related to him!

Tell me about your interests!

• No I don’t know my house, how can I find out? Have you heard that Newt from Fantastic Beasts could be autistic? 

I know what you mean when you say you could talk about your interests for your hours, I feel the same.

I love researching and talking about autism.

• I have been twice now! I've also been to the one at Universal Studios, Florida. I have collected 4 wands now  - Hermione's, Fleur's, Narcissa Malfoy's and Queenie's (from fantastic beasts).

I must have read the books at least 5 times over, and I'm currently listening to the audiobooks!

It's my absolute favourite thing in the world. I could talk about it for hours :) 

I'm a Ravenclaw, do you know your house?

• Have you been to Harry Potter Studios? I have watched all the films.

I also agree that it is rude to disregard someone’s interests, but that won’t happen here. I don’t know much about the Hollywood golden era.