Dreading going back to flat on Monday after weekend with parents. Need help

I have a real problem with noise at my flat. Before now, noise was not a massive issue, although I have always been fairly sensitive. But the noise is now relentless, particularly because it occurs at NIGHT TIME when I am trying to sleep!!!!!!!. Car noise is constant, and makes me startle and awaken at the smallest sound of an engine. The neighbour plays music that is too loud, and has night-time arguments. Meanwhile, my parents house is peaceful at night - no noise at all. I feel as though I have made a mistake in moving out, because of the noise, but can't tell my parents this because they would be devastated, and would tell me that there is no going back. I could not bear the stress of  telling them how I feel. I spend weekends with them, and last night I fell asleep only a few minutes after hitting the pillow, which is rare for me. This shows how tired I must have been. I still feel tired, and have just one more night with them before another sleepless week. I am already anxious, and worry that the long term effects of noise will wreck my health. Why should I have to put up with it???. I hate this noisy world sometimes. I wish the flat was as quiet as home, my home, my parents house, that will always be my true refuge -ie a proper house, not some noisy flat/apartment. I feel angry, upset and homesick.

What is more, this is all my fault because I instigated the move in the name of independence. I know I would have to probably move out sooner or later, but my parents home will always be home for me. I just want to move back, but know that I can't. I did not expect constant noise when before now night time was dead quiet!.

Parents
  • Hi Hope.

I have had melt downs with noise from neighbours. My chest gets tesnse and my mind goes blind. I can't slepp or do anything.

You are right, the earplugs are uncomfortable and not always practical. I use ear defenders and isolating headphones (impossible to sleep in). I think it is unfair that I take all the measures to be quiet and considerate. I think it gives the impression that the noise is not a problem.

Do you have someone to advocate for you? Someone to speak 'nicely' to the neighbours? After that maybe approach the Housing Assosiation. Go wiyth all guns blazing. Go with someone to advocate for you. Take any medical evidence too from a doctor etc. make them see that it is THEIR repsonsibility. I am sure they will not have any imediate soultion but it mightg get the ball rolling. Either move you or sort the neighbours out. This could be scary as the neighbours might be intimidating if you complain. Also try to resist slamming doors etc as they will say you are noisey too (it does feel better though ;-)).

Noise intrusion for me too is a massive issue. I get bothered even if it is minor and caused by my girlfriend in the house. That is manageable though and far less stressful. I can rationalize and work that out.

I live in a mid-terrace that we own (mortgaged :-( ) and we now want to sell it and move. That is major and seems overwhelming. I am depressed and just not coping anyhow and am off work sick. But...... I did a bit of DIY today as a step closer  to getting the house ready to sell......even if we do we have to find somewhere else (better) to live and probably a new job. Just the  thought seems too much.

Anyhow good luck.

• Hi Hope.

I have had melt downs with noise from neighbours. My chest gets tesnse and my mind goes blind. I can't slepp or do anything.

You are right, the earplugs are uncomfortable and not always practical. I use ear defenders and isolating headphones (impossible to sleep in). I think it is unfair that I take all the measures to be quiet and considerate. I think it gives the impression that the noise is not a problem.

Do you have someone to advocate for you? Someone to speak 'nicely' to the neighbours? After that maybe approach the Housing Assosiation. Go wiyth all guns blazing. Go with someone to advocate for you. Take any medical evidence too from a doctor etc. make them see that it is THEIR repsonsibility. I am sure they will not have any imediate soultion but it mightg get the ball rolling. Either move you or sort the neighbours out. This could be scary as the neighbours might be intimidating if you complain. Also try to resist slamming doors etc as they will say you are noisey too (it does feel better though ;-)).

Noise intrusion for me too is a massive issue. I get bothered even if it is minor and caused by my girlfriend in the house. That is manageable though and far less stressful. I can rationalize and work that out.

I live in a mid-terrace that we own (mortgaged :-( ) and we now want to sell it and move. That is major and seems overwhelming. I am depressed and just not coping anyhow and am off work sick. But...... I did a bit of DIY today as a step closer  to getting the house ready to sell......even if we do we have to find somewhere else (better) to live and probably a new job. Just the  thought seems too much.

Anyhow good luck.

Children
No Data