Worried that I might be told I’m not autistic

Now I know this sounds stupid, but I’m apprehensive about seeking a diagnosis, partly because I might be told I don’t have autism. I’m not sure where that would leave me. I guess it would just make me a bit of a weirdo, who has no real reason to find certain things so difficult.

I don’t feel 100% sure I have autism, but I’m questioning. I took the AQ test and scored 30, so not super low but not super high either. I’m not sure what the purpose to this post is, I’m just torn on what to do.

Parents
  • Regardless of any results, remember it's all a spectrum, and you will want to understand yourself (at some point, at least). You can still be a part of the autistic community despite any diagnosis, and you can still learn from other people's perspectives on this and any other message board. The diagnosis would just be a vehicle to aide you and best direct you to the knowledge and tools that will eventually help you with your life. (Knowing really is half the battle!)

I wish you the very best.

• You can still be a part of the autistic community despite any diagnosis, and you can still learn from other people's perspectives on this and any other message board.

Hi Sean,
    I was just so glad to read this.  It's really reassuring.  I don't yet have my official diagnosis, but I'm assuming for now that I am autistic, and every day I spot new examples of it in my behaviour and mental processes.  If I have a "not autistic" diagnosis, I will still feel that "I have autistic traits" and therefore I will want to be with others who I can relate to.  It will be really great if the autistic community would still welcome me in some way.

• You can still be a part of the autistic community despite any diagnosis, and you can still learn from other people's perspectives on this and any other message board.

Hi Sean,
    I was just so glad to read this.  It's really reassuring.  I don't yet have my official diagnosis, but I'm assuming for now that I am autistic, and every day I spot new examples of it in my behaviour and mental processes.  If I have a "not autistic" diagnosis, I will still feel that "I have autistic traits" and therefore I will want to be with others who I can relate to.  It will be really great if the autistic community would still welcome me in some way.

Children
  • Thank you for your warm reply and encouraging comments, Sean.  I feel very welcomed on this forum.  Writing supportive and compassionate replies doesn't come naturally, but I do try.  

• I'm glad to hear that from you. It sounds like you are coming to terms and accepting yourself regardless of any diagnosis. Everyone has strengths and weakness, it's just a matter of figuring out what yours are. I personally am on the spectrum having been diagnosed with Asperger's, and I know there are many people who are "more" on the spectrum (for lack of a proper term) and have greater challenges in life than me, but I still learn a lot from interacting with those people. Learning some of their talents and skills helps me understand more about my own abilities. Similarly, learning how others deal with some challenges provides me with ideas on how to address my own needs.

Regardless of your diagnosis, I'm glad you've joined this community group. Just by posting a question invoked some great discussion from a range of people, all with different perspective, but even more so all supportive and compassionate replies, and that to me is fantastic! All the very best!