Worried that I might be told I’m not autistic

Now I know this sounds stupid, but I’m apprehensive about seeking a diagnosis, partly because I might be told I don’t have autism. I’m not sure where that would leave me. I guess it would just make me a bit of a weirdo, who has no real reason to find certain things so difficult.

I don’t feel 100% sure I have autism, but I’m questioning. I took the AQ test and scored 30, so not super low but not super high either. I’m not sure what the purpose to this post is, I’m just torn on what to do.

Parents
  • I had the same worry, turned out I didn't need to.

I had a test for Dyslexia when I started my degree, I was shocked and in tears when I had the result, I thought it was that that made me so different and caused my educational difficulties. It was part time degree, five years and I didn't read a single book they recommended. Years later it all makes sense. I was autistic that wasn't known then, and actually quite possibly dyslexic too but someone may have miscalculated the result.

The moral of the story is that it is good to go ahead and ask for a diagnosis, if it's not that it's something else and you'll get there in the end and the right diagnosis is the thing that opens doors.

• I had the same worry, turned out I didn't need to.

I had a test for Dyslexia when I started my degree, I was shocked and in tears when I had the result, I thought it was that that made me so different and caused my educational difficulties. It was part time degree, five years and I didn't read a single book they recommended. Years later it all makes sense. I was autistic that wasn't known then, and actually quite possibly dyslexic too but someone may have miscalculated the result.

The moral of the story is that it is good to go ahead and ask for a diagnosis, if it's not that it's something else and you'll get there in the end and the right diagnosis is the thing that opens doors.

Children