Worried that I might be told I’m not autistic

Now I know this sounds stupid, but I’m apprehensive about seeking a diagnosis, partly because I might be told I don’t have autism. I’m not sure where that would leave me. I guess it would just make me a bit of a weirdo, who has no real reason to find certain things so difficult.

I don’t feel 100% sure I have autism, but I’m questioning. I took the AQ test and scored 30, so not super low but not super high either. I’m not sure what the purpose to this post is, I’m just torn on what to do.

Parents
  • It doesn’t sound stupid to me at all, I also score around 30 on the AQ test and torn about assessment even though I’ve been pondering it for a few months now! I’m not sure my GP would be interested as I have a good job but private assessments are so expensive. I think I’ve also had the mindset for my adult life at least that I’m just a bit weird/different/what is “normal” anyway? It’s hard to get out of that and think actually there might be a reason.

I think a lot of people write out lists of all the reasons they think they’re autistic which they can print off or email to their doctor. I have a phone album absolutely full of relatable memes (mostly ADHD and quite a lot autism), I’m not entirely sure how to put that into list form!

• It doesn’t sound stupid to me at all, I also score around 30 on the AQ test and torn about assessment even though I’ve been pondering it for a few months now! I’m not sure my GP would be interested as I have a good job but private assessments are so expensive. I think I’ve also had the mindset for my adult life at least that I’m just a bit weird/different/what is “normal” anyway? It’s hard to get out of that and think actually there might be a reason.

I think a lot of people write out lists of all the reasons they think they’re autistic which they can print off or email to their doctor. I have a phone album absolutely full of relatable memes (mostly ADHD and quite a lot autism), I’m not entirely sure how to put that into list form!

Children
No Data