Autism Stole my Life

By the time I was 13 years old I knew that I would forever be alone--- no spouse, no "girlfriends," no hope for romance, and no hope for love. This was obvious because I knew I was the only orange monkey in the monkey cage, and I was brutalized because I was (and am) "strange."

If I were capable of feeling hate I would write "I hate being autistic."

I do, however, utterly detest being autistic: autism has robbed me of my life. Autism took from me the chance of finding a woman who found me worthy of standing by her side, as two equal partners. What autism left for me in exchange was 61 years of a loneliness so suffocating, so ravenous, so crushing of spirit that I longed for death --- only my brother's compassion stayed my hand.

I loathe my inability speak nouns and pronouns when I am talking with people face to face: the Anomic Aphasia kicks in and I struggle to say the names of objects (that includes humans) , nor the names of places. My mind knows the word but I cannot speak it: try having a successful job interview when the evaluator believes you are on drugs--- I sound like I am choking because I am.

I abhor my inability to remember something that I heard mere seconds ago.

I deplore the way I rock side to side when I sit; rock on my feet side to side when standing in line at the grocery store; spinning on my heals to release some of the anxiety I collect when I am among the humans.

A few days ago (Monday June 14, 2021) my councilor (via telephone) told me that I "still have around twenty years left; there is still time to find love." I shivered with dread. I do not want to live another twenty years with painful eyes because I am required to look at people's eyes (it is agony for me). Twenty more years of strangers insisting that I must "shake hands." Twenty more years of strangers calling me by my first name--- as if we were already intimate.

Twenty more years of being macerated in the vicious jaws of loneliness.

It is a wonder that I have not been driven insane. Yet.

Parents
  • There are lovely old movies with interesting humans who always use a pocket square when shaking hands with others. 

I'm the sort who has tried to find how to make my eccentrics... interesting. I hate the way I speak sometimes - it's too intense. I'll go on about the physics of some absurd element and have learned to follow it up now (when I catch myself) with a 'wow! how fantastically boring!' which eases a great deal of situations. Go big or go home, right? I'm a fan of aesthetics which can turn the oddest of oddities into something which NTs only wished they possessed. I've spent time finding out how to be even more indulgent with my strangeness. 

But I am also single. As a female, I found myself in too many abusive situations. And some good but overbearing. As I got older, I began to love not being irritated with someone else's nonsense in my space. They're demands and expectations. I think many of us would love to find connexion. Is the grass always greener? I think it is truly difficult to find someone who is respectful and understanding and steadfast, most cannot handle vulnerability.  But then I can't say I've mastered this art!! My father sometimes tells me he wishes he was single. How sad that must be for my step mother, but he's loyal to a fault. My mother remarried a few times and the last one cheated on her for 10 years. How do you not know? I think it's contributed to her illnesses & medication intake. I don't envy them, but I do wish I could find someone who won't buy LEDs or lie to me about sensory objects. The world is a strange place.

• What's wrong with the Light Emitting Diodes? I may be being dense, but the last line doesn't make sense to me. 

• Our biological senses are tools for calculation. Some of us are much more sensitive to the sources transmitting output. Lights, sounds, textures, etc. Apparently, Lacan theorised ASD individuals have a difficulty with defence mechanisms - survival mechanisms designed to shield our natural vulnerabilities, suppress natural instincts or help construct civilised society by maturing the ego. So, being more sensitive to sensory perception and unable to just De-Sensitise like most Neuro-Typicals might with their defence mechanisms, unnatural lighting 'feels' grating - to the degree where after too long I might lash back out at the oppressing source! 

That's one explanation. If you're interested a rabbit hole of googling why LEDs give humans headaches can be a lovely afternoon of distraction. :)

• Our biological senses are tools for calculation. Some of us are much more sensitive to the sources transmitting output. Lights, sounds, textures, etc. Apparently, Lacan theorised ASD individuals have a difficulty with defence mechanisms - survival mechanisms designed to shield our natural vulnerabilities, suppress natural instincts or help construct civilised society by maturing the ego. So, being more sensitive to sensory perception and unable to just De-Sensitise like most Neuro-Typicals might with their defence mechanisms, unnatural lighting 'feels' grating - to the degree where after too long I might lash back out at the oppressing source! 

That's one explanation. If you're interested a rabbit hole of googling why LEDs give humans headaches can be a lovely afternoon of distraction. :)

Children
  • I use the conclusions of the professionals, as autism is a neurological disorder much like schizophrenia is.

• It's not an effing disorder, its a difference!!

A useful one, on occasion.

• There is a hypothesis that the Neanderthals had autistic traits: this is based upon the revolutions in industry they discovered. The hypothesis is that autistic people have heightened sensory resolution because the Neanderthals needed sentinels who were comfortable being beyond a community area and by themselves. The ability to detect a threat approaching, and sounding the alarm, would be a "plus."

However, geneticists believe that autism is a modern genetic disorder.

Instead of accepting either proposition I choose to accept none

• Thanks for that. I think I lost my sensitivity to excessive light flying a small knackered Cessna in Florida one summer in the nineties...

The technical qualities of L.E.D's does mean they can make an LED light source of virtually any hue and intensity, It's then just a case of adding a diffuser to make it a diffuse rather than multiple point source of light.

I'm sure that given time you will eventually come across an led light source that you find you like. Over this workbench I have an ex industrial led 5 foot flour fitting and a similar sized but much lower power 12v system of DIY "emergency lighting" which I fall back on when I prefer a little less illumination. That works well for me.

I will confess it has been a very long time since putting the toilet light on at night hurt my eyes like it used to when I was younger...