Procrastination

Is it just me or does my autism have something to do with my ridiculous procrastination? Honestly I'm sick of it and it's about to get me into deep trouble. I already can't graduate on time but at this rate I'm not even going to graduate.

Please drop any tips you have to stop procrastinating that makes sense to an autistic person. I need serious help

Parents
  • What currently works for me:

I have to connect to my 'why' - the big perspective behind the overall thing / project. I also have to connect this to the individual task at hand and keep reminding myself of these links. Usually daily, if I'm honest. 

To-do lists - yes! I have to break bigger tasks down in order to see things as doable in the first place. I find this very difficult to do in itself. But once I remember I need to do this... then remember how (after the inevitable overwhelm has subsided)... then I do really enjoy ticking off each item. I don't care how small the items on the list get - each one is important and necessary, and each ticking off will keep me going to the next one.

When to-do lists get epically long, this is where I may need help prioritising. Either I need to drop or postpone some things, or I need help breaking all the tasks into weekly and daily chunks and help understanding where to start. This helps my mind stop thinking about things that are important but not urgent. My favourite tip: pick 1 to 3 (maximum is always 3) things you MUST get done on a particular day before you begin the day. Make sure what you pick is absolutely doable with spare time leftover in case anything takes longer. When you've done those thing(s), you can either relax if you feel you need it, knowing you got what you wanted done, or you can ride the waves of satisfaction and start work on other things.

Then, I also need time away from the tasks. Like being here on this forum. I cannot work like a robot on one topic forever. I need small and big blocks of time to explore other things, relax, or whatever. 10 mins can be it when super busy, or a whole morning if needed. I make a pact with myself that I'm taking time away from the project in order to come back to it. Right now, I'm benefitting from the support this forum gives because in the background, my brain is still processing what it means to be autistic and navigating my daily life. When I ignore emotional or support needs, they tend to draw me away from my work eventually, anyway. Work might be the primary urgent thing on the surface, but we all have human needs that may not shout so loudly but also need honouring.

Hope this helps. 

• What currently works for me:

I have to connect to my 'why' - the big perspective behind the overall thing / project. I also have to connect this to the individual task at hand and keep reminding myself of these links. Usually daily, if I'm honest. 

To-do lists - yes! I have to break bigger tasks down in order to see things as doable in the first place. I find this very difficult to do in itself. But once I remember I need to do this... then remember how (after the inevitable overwhelm has subsided)... then I do really enjoy ticking off each item. I don't care how small the items on the list get - each one is important and necessary, and each ticking off will keep me going to the next one.

When to-do lists get epically long, this is where I may need help prioritising. Either I need to drop or postpone some things, or I need help breaking all the tasks into weekly and daily chunks and help understanding where to start. This helps my mind stop thinking about things that are important but not urgent. My favourite tip: pick 1 to 3 (maximum is always 3) things you MUST get done on a particular day before you begin the day. Make sure what you pick is absolutely doable with spare time leftover in case anything takes longer. When you've done those thing(s), you can either relax if you feel you need it, knowing you got what you wanted done, or you can ride the waves of satisfaction and start work on other things.

Then, I also need time away from the tasks. Like being here on this forum. I cannot work like a robot on one topic forever. I need small and big blocks of time to explore other things, relax, or whatever. 10 mins can be it when super busy, or a whole morning if needed. I make a pact with myself that I'm taking time away from the project in order to come back to it. Right now, I'm benefitting from the support this forum gives because in the background, my brain is still processing what it means to be autistic and navigating my daily life. When I ignore emotional or support needs, they tend to draw me away from my work eventually, anyway. Work might be the primary urgent thing on the surface, but we all have human needs that may not shout so loudly but also need honouring.

Hope this helps. 

Children
No Data