Online autistic identity

I like facebook - I spend a lot of time on it. My profile is almost exclusively 'NT compliant but still eccentric old me'

Does anyone think that a 'dual identity' is healthy?

I feel like I want to 'live my truth' and just be completely open, but I think some/many existing friends would be confused and quite unnerved.

Above all I just want to share some things I know - to entertain, educate, resonate (or be happily disagreed with) - and feel that some of my things are VERY not NT.

Parents
  • What do people do on facebook?    Is there interaction or is it just people bragging?  (I recently created a profile to try to find people from my past but it seems useless)

• It is what you make of it.

I only have 'freinds' I have met in real life. We post positive comments, pictures of nature and such, and jokes.

I 'hide' or 'block' anyone with horrid views or who are trying to push political or religious agendas at me.

There are special interest groups for pretty much anything and many of those can be genuinely helpful.

*If you are cautious* it can be a great tool to interact and learn while avoiding some of the social interactions some people find problematic.

• I totally appreciate FB for that use - but I can do that with e-mail already - completely privately with CC and BCC

And my friends already know me so there's no need for any 'persona'.

• I get why the term HFA has issues but that would probably describe me.

Talking to random people in a museum sounds like my idea of torture though!

• A lot depends on *your* experience of what autistic really means to you.   Do you feel you would fit well with (I hate this phrase) 'lower functioning' autistic people or do you feel you're more HFA.

If you feel HFA is more your thing, then you'll find most museums are stuffed with them - all into their special interest and loving talking to others about it..

Where do you feel you would fit?

• Join a charity, JJ. Go and meet.interact with real people in real time.

• That's cool.

I think I'm just looking for ways to more fully engage with an autistic community without throwing it in the face of people who don't want to know / can't deal with it...

Reply Children
  • I get why the term HFA has issues but that would probably describe me.

Talking to random people in a museum sounds like my idea of torture though!

• A lot depends on *your* experience of what autistic really means to you.   Do you feel you would fit well with (I hate this phrase) 'lower functioning' autistic people or do you feel you're more HFA.

If you feel HFA is more your thing, then you'll find most museums are stuffed with them - all into their special interest and loving talking to others about it..

Where do you feel you would fit?

• Join a charity, JJ. Go and meet.interact with real people in real time.