Online autistic identity

I like facebook - I spend a lot of time on it. My profile is almost exclusively 'NT compliant but still eccentric old me'

Does anyone think that a 'dual identity' is healthy?

I feel like I want to 'live my truth' and just be completely open, but I think some/many existing friends would be confused and quite unnerved.

Above all I just want to share some things I know - to entertain, educate, resonate (or be happily disagreed with) - and feel that some of my things are VERY not NT.

Parents Reply Children
  • It's an amplifier for all types of societal narcissism, fuelled by corporate greed. Everyone is living on Facebook, editing their lives and sharing their 'best moments' to garner likes, or their 'worst moments' to garner sympathy. 

• It is what you make of it.

I only have 'freinds' I have met in real life. We post positive comments, pictures of nature and such, and jokes.

I 'hide' or 'block' anyone with horrid views or who are trying to push political or religious agendas at me.

There are special interest groups for pretty much anything and many of those can be genuinely helpful.

*If you are cautious* it can be a great tool to interact and learn while avoiding some of the social interactions some people find problematic.

• Once Facebook was a usefull social tool. Especially for students who had just moved into an area and needed to make friends.

you could see who was in your university department and year, sometimes even the same course / lecture.

peoples publicly viewable about sections told you Something about their personality. Movies they liked, music they were into etc.

you could see who in your area had things in common with you and strike up a conversation online.

you could find the friend of a friend you were chatting to last night and get in contact directly instead of waiting for the next time you’re friend invited you both out.

you could see what events your friends were going to and ask if you could tag along.
    people would post photos of great nights out, student pranks and general banter.

‭now Most people have their settings so that anything that might Indicate their personality is friends only.

some people don’t even put their actual faces on it anymore and a lot of people don’t use events or a least their upcoming events are no longer visible to friends.
    where before there were pictures of nightclubs and giant  snow phalus Now there are lots of posts on politics.